PDA

View Full Version : RSS Scroller (gAjax) not working in IE

truelight
04-28-2008, 06:29 PM
1) Script Title: gAjax RSS Pausing Scroller

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/gajaxpausescroller.htm

2b) Host Site:
http://www.truelight-cdc.com/tester.php

3) Describe problem:

I installed this script on my page, and it works great in Firefox et al, but in IE7 I get a blank div instead. I've re read everything and worked on this thing till I'm about to scream and can't figure it out. I'm sure it's something little, but I can't find it. This feature would be a fantastic add for this client, and I'm running out of time...

Anyone?

Cheers
Az

ddadmin
04-28-2008, 06:41 PM
There is a JavaScript error on that page. FF reports:

Error: $ is not defined
Source File: http://www.truelight-cdc.com/tester.php
Line: 89

In IE, when it encounters a JS error, that will often halt the execution of other scripts on the page as well. Try removing or fixing:

$(document).ready(
function()
{
$('#dock2').Fisheye(
{
maxWidth: 80,
items: 'a',
itemsText: 'span',
container: '.dock-container2',
itemWidth: 94,
proximity: 100,
alignment : 'left',
valign: 'bottom',
halign : 'center'
}
)
}
);

truelight
04-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I removed all the unnecessary and unrelated code from the original page and ported it over to the tester.php page. Apparently, I didn't upload my final changes, and left that code in at the bottom, creating the error (as I had removed the div it references above). I uploaded the most recent changes which strips it down to nearly only the DD code, and the problem still persists. (this is how I tested it, I apologize for not having the correct version of the tester.php page up when I posted).

Thanks again,
AZ

ddadmin
04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Hmm this is a strange one. I've saved your page locally and am running it in IE and FF. So far I don't see why nothing is showing in IE. I've come back to this later today, and if I find the problem, post an update here.

truelight
04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
hehe... Thanks. I've been going a bit crazy over it myself. I appreciate the time you are spending on this. This is a great deal of support for an open-source script. You have my deepest thanks.

I'll keep checking back,

Cheers
Az

ddadmin
04-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Hmm after some investigation I still can't see why it's not working in IE. Have you modified the default .js files of the script in any way? So what I did was create a blank page with just the RSS scroller on it and using the original .js files downloaded from the script page. It does work with the feeds you're trying to display. This seems to suggest something has been altered on your page that's causing the error, versus an issue with one of the feeds for example.

truelight
05-04-2008, 02:17 AM
DDAdmin,

Thanks again for checking this out. I haven't modified any of the .js files, I'm guessing it's something, as you said, in my code interfering in some unknown way. Probably some CSS in IE mucking up. I'll have a rework on it done. Kudos for this!

Will recommend highly your website, and will use in the future... and there is much to come.

Az