PDA

View Full Version : New laptop

hyk
04-28-2008, 04:21 AM
i`m looking around for a laptop less than 2k ( hopefully to get at the end of the year)

Any brands or stats to recommend

Rai_87
04-28-2008, 07:43 AM
try dell or hp, their lastest model is below 2k and spec look good......

boogyman
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
if you get a dell expect it to crap out in 2/3 years max... it will also generally run slower than other manufacturer's partly because they use Celeron processors, which while cheaper, are not as fast as other CPU chips.

hyk
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
any recommdations boggyman? I was considering lenovo or compaq since its is within the 1.8k ( hp too, but its over my budget) Acer is a big no-no. My frend acer keep shutting down after an hour or 2. :eek:

Nile
04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Don't use HP. If you wanna return something, its poop. We once tried to return something, we had like 2 months, so we tried to return it in the middle of the 1st month, so they said "Ok," and we were wondering what happen, so we called again, and they said that they couldn't return it because it was past our deadline! But we called before! Don't use Dell, if you want a low quality computer go to EMachines(really cheap), if you want a good one, go to Dell (We've bought 3 computers from dell all in 1 year).

hyk
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Erm Nile, EMachines is an online website which sells computers? btw, I not from the states so I not sure about the after sales etc stuffs :) Now, do i or do i not get dell?? :confused:

Medyman
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
if you get a dell expect it to crap out in 2/3 years max... it will also generally run slower than other manufacturer's partly because they use Celeron processors, which while cheaper, are not as fast as other CPU chips.

Amen to that.
My cousin just bought a dell. It hadn't been 2 months before she started having problems. I was on the phone with the (seemingly incompetant) tech support for at least 6 hours over a week's time (I had to call multiple times). One tech would "diagnose" a problem with one piece of hardware, another tech would say no, that's wrong...it's this piece of hardware. Someone decided to send me new memory modules, which were faulty, of course. They shipped new ones...still didn't work. Finally, I got fed up with it...spoke my mind and demanded that they replace the laptop (i.e. ship out a BRAND new one). So, they did.

One thing I do have to say though...amazingly fast shipping! :D

I currently have a HP laptop and a Toshiba....love them both (though the customer service of both sucks, in my opinion). Luckily I know enough about computers that I can fix most problems myself, otherwise I'd be out some serious amounts of money right now after all the crap I put my computers through (and then fix, of course). I'm planning to get a Mac pretty soon though. I'm getting tired of the PC life.

boogyman
04-28-2008, 03:44 PM
there is alot of debate about what is and what isn't the best type of machine to get, but really what has not been asked is exactly WHAT do you need it for... that constitutes for probably 90% of the necessity.

hyk - What will you be using this for? work? school? gaming?
also... what characteristics are you looking for in the computer?
large hard-drive, ability to write cd's ability to play/write dvd's ?

the more information about what you will be using this machine for the better

Medyman
04-28-2008, 03:56 PM
there is alot of debate about what is and what isn't the best type of machine to get, but really what has not been asked is exactly WHAT do you need it for... that constitutes for probably 90% of the necessity.

the more information about what you will be using this machine for the better

Well put...that's absolutely true. There is no universal answer. It's all relative to your situation. Most laptops can aptly handle some causual internt browsing, word processing. But programming, desiging, video editing, gaming, etc... these all have their own specific needs.

hyk
04-28-2008, 04:08 PM

:eek: I did not make my points clear enough. my fault. erm, boggyman, I be using for schoolwork & maybe some gaming( not playing those extreme high graphics games) . Schoolwork will be using microsoft office & maybe some programming. Surfing of net, reading forums, watching videos.

As for the dvd part, its not a must since i don`t realli burn dvds etc. 120gb should be more than enough i think (normal usage)

Do i need to give more info? If i not wrong $1.4k-1.6k should be able to get it. :)

boogyman
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
you can get one under $1000 canned from Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?page=2&Nav=|c:1897|&Sort=0&Recs=10)

hyk
04-29-2008, 04:07 AM
ok thanks for the tip. So what brand should i get then?

boogyman
04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
I already said stay away from Dell, although I do not believe they are on that page.

Look at the specs and do your research on the company... read some reviews on machines that you are interested in... see what actual people with those machines are writing about them... does this work, is there a problem with that... yada yada

fileserverdirect
04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Certain Dells (such as the xps) can withstand up to 4 years, but they are really expensive, good for gaming\multitasking on the go. My laptop, the one I'm on now, only fatally blue screened recently (Bought in June '06) It's an inspiron 6400. It's actually pretty good, and it has an intel dual core and it's fast. I would recomend Dell, or HP, a friend of mine has one, it's also really great. ;)

Gorkfu
05-07-2008, 01:58 AM
What exactly will you use or want to use the laptop for? Office work? Gaming? Graphic design? etc.

If you want it for gaming then I'd understand paying near 2k, but I'd go with a custom laptop dealer if that is the case.

If you don't do gaming or just moderate gaming and are gonna use the laptop for work, I would reccomend checking out NewEgg.com. They usually have good laptops under $800. Also if your going vista I reccomend 4gig min, and newegg is good for buying RAM upgrade.

I bought a toshiba a couple months ago for about $500 there, although with upgrades it cost me $800ish. It's been a great laptop for me.