PDA

View Full Version : [DHTML] Dotgyan - Live Search enhancement tool for selected text on a webpage

vineet7kumar
04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
1) CODE TITLE: Dotgyan - Live Search enhancement tool for selected text on a webpage

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES: Vineet Kumar

3) DESCRIPTION: Dotgyan is a web-based live search enhancement tool that allows the readers of a blog or a webpage to search for some text they want to look-up on Google or Wikipedia. It also lets the user to see the definition of a word by selecting it and looking in wiktionary.
It is different from other such tools that allow such search of selected text in the way that it is browser independent and the user need not search for a plugin and install it. It can be easily installed by the web-master on the webpage.
Please follow the link provided below in "URL TO CODE" to download the ".zip" file and to see a demo of Dotgyan.
unzip the file and read the "README" file for instructions on how to install it on your webpage.
For another live demo you may visit the blog
http://binaryday.com
where it is installed.

for any queries feel free to contact me at vineet7kumar@gmail.com

4) URL TO CODE: http://longlivethepc.com/dotgyan/
(http://longlivethepc.com/dotgyan/)

Nile
04-21-2008, 03:01 PM
This is very cool.

BYK
04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Might be improved in the sense of usability and graphical issues but it is really a very nice and good script ;)

vineet7kumar
04-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys.

I am still working to improve on it and add more features.
It will be very great if you can give me some suggestions on how to improve it more, specially the installation which is still a bit cumbersome.

I am planning to write a program which takes the HTML file as input and automatically rewrites the body part.

BYK
04-21-2008, 06:37 PM
You're welcome :)

For the installation, hmm. It is not a good way rewriting the body part. Instead, your script should attach itself to the body onload, and create the necessary elements automatically ;)

vineet7kumar
04-21-2008, 07:07 PM
hmmm... I'll do that

neelchauhan
04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Not a good demo. Try better later.

vineet7kumar
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Neel,
Thanks for the huge comment. I will really appreciate if you can also give some advice on how to improve the demo.

PS:People out here can read smaller fonts :)

Medyman
04-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey Vineet...

Great work. That's a really cool idea. I'm not sure about the absolute utility of it, but in certain situations, it definitely could be.

A couple suggestions/things to work on:
Thing to work on: I'm playing a little hide-and-seek with the bullet that comes up after you highlight. I'm not sure if there is a timeout function (i.e. the ball dissapears after a certain time). If there is, you might want to extend it. If not, then look into why it goes away after you're over it for more than a second.

Suggestions: Targetting specific elements. Going back to my first comment, I don't see something like this being necessary for an entire site. In fact, it could kind of get in the way. But, if I'm writing a blog post and I include some technical terminology which my readers might not know, it would be awesome if I could specify a CSS selecter in the script and then use something like <a class="selector" href="#"> and have the script by just clicking on it. Or even do something like only target the <acronym> tag.

Or retain the selection bit, and be able to target a certain div based on id's or classes.

Just some thoughts. Do with them what you will. Great work though. Keep it up.

- Vishal

vineet7kumar
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks Vishal for the comments and suggestions.
As of the dot going away after a certain time-out, I just realized after your post that it will hide away after time out even if the pointer is on it (which should not be). I will rectify that.
Another thing, yes It will be particularly useful with specially blogs and webpages with large amount of text-content.

I'll work on your suggestions.

Thanks,
Viny

Medyman
04-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey Viny...

Just wondering...
Have you seen the similar functionality on NYTimes.com. I just noticed it today and thought of your script.

I don't have anything more to add, just wanted to point it out. It's different in functionality and execution but it's kind of similar.

If you double click on any work, it comes up with a new window with a definition/thesaurus/search/encyclopedia entry for that work throughout the New York Times (at least in FF 2). Kind of cool, I thought. Not that useful as you can only pick one word. If they combined what you have with what they have (or if you did), I think it would be a winning combination and something I'd very much consider implementing in some online journals we manage.

Nile
04-25-2008, 02:22 AM
I actually think that Viny's is better, although it'd be easier to use if the graphics weren't as bad.

vineet7kumar
04-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks Medyman. Thanks Nile.

Actually this was my first DHTML code and I still don't know many of the things.
I just started learning it for fun and I am really excited about it now.
I will be really thankful to you if you guys can guide me or give some help on how to proceed further for becoming a good DHTML coder.

Nile, since I have no experience on the UI and graphics stuff, I will be thankful if you can tell me a bit more specifically what you think, should be changed in the graphics and some advice for how to do that. I'll be more than happy to learn from you.

Medyman, I'll work on combining the two things. Though for next 2-3 months I'll not be working on it much due to other commitments.