PDA

View Full Version : user credentials

alim27
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi,

again a :o question. Where will the user credentials by a web-app be saved ? and from which software-component they will be managed :confused: ?
if someone knows a link where this is explained in or keywords for google, please post. Many Thanks

tech_support
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Using what? From where? And how?

alim27
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
E.g. To be a dynamicdrive.com member, i have to be registred. My register data wil be saved in a database (e.g MySql). But in order to post i have to log on, because post is a "protected resource" (i think). My qustion is how does this mechanism look like (i mean identify the user and redirecting to the resource if the user exist). I hope i make it somehow clear.

boogyman
04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
when you login, your details are sent to the server, and a server-side language. Here at DD, ddadmin uses PHP. Using PHP ddadmin sends a request to the database (I will assume MySQL) to attempt to grab some information about the user that is logging in... like username,password,posts,thanks given,thanks received, join date, access level... etcetc...
This may not be the case here, but the next logical step is to store that information into a session value (possibly an array) which can than be used whenever necessary.

an example query could be something along the lines of

mysql_query("SELECT user_id, username, password, num_posts, thanks_given, thanks_received, join_dt, access_level FROM Users WHERE username='".$_POST['username']."' AND password='".$_POST['password']."'");

I highly doubt that he stores everything in 1 table, but you can review JOINs and UNIONs throughout the web, and on the MySQL homesite.

I think this is more of a "General Help" question, than a Java specific question, but the same applies if you were to use the programming language Java, or any server-side type language