PDA

View Full Version : Whats Deal With FTP?

Rockonmetal
04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
I did a little research on FTP on wikipedia... I don't know if I have this comprehended correctly but here's what it seems to be to me (correct me if I'm wrong)...
Basically its a system that allows you to upload files to a server which anyone can get the files from anywhere. Like if you wanted to put a large business presentation on there so everyone in your department could look at it and check for errors they could without having to go through the trouble of sending many emails with files attached?
If so, could I use it so that for my site which allows users to upload videos and pictures and then I look at them and pick the best ones and put them on my site?
Other than let my hosting service set my site up for FTP transfers is this a reasonable or logical idea?
Thanks

djr33
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
HTTP means HyperText Transfer Protocol. That is, you transfer webpages and view stuff.

FTP means File Transfer Protocol. That means that rather than viewing it, you can use it like a folder, with drag and drop and all that (or command line if you prefer.)

Now, in terms of access, you can setup accounts however you want, with or without passwords and with varied permissions. Drop box? Read only? Read and write? Up to you.

Rockonmetal
04-14-2008, 10:42 PM
One more question... can i test out ftp on localhost before i put it on the www? How would I go about doing this...
Thanks

djr33
04-14-2008, 11:02 PM
You want to configure your server before actually connecting it? In theory that should be possible, unless your configuration runs into issues that need to be resolved with your connection (ports, etc.), but I don't see why you'd need to.

Or, you want to just test how it works?

You can run it through a local network and use the local address (like 192.168.*.*), and have it not connected, and it would respond to FTP request (usually port 21, I believe) just like it was connected. Or you could just connect it and put a password up or make a dummy system which would be no threat if hacked. (Don't put anything important there, that is.)
Plus, no one will really know about it.

If you just want to figure out how all this stuff works, then testing on a local network is probably easiest.

Rockonmetal
04-14-2008, 11:24 PM
k thanks! i'm learning a lot about ftp now... i wish Ajax was this easy...