PDA

View Full Version : menu_com.js

craigstover
06-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Hello,

I am using menu_com.js (Ger Versluis 2000 version 5.5 24 December 2001) that I got from dynamicdrive.com. I would like to know if I or you can put something like an alt="" so when you hover the mouse over a menu item, it will show a small discription like you do when you hover over an image on the screen.

I hope you understand my question and thank you in advance.

Craig Stover

jscheuer1
06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
What's the descriptive name of this menu script? I can't find it from what you've posted.

If there is a way to include a title attribute for each link, that would do it. ex:

<a href="some.html" title="Some Page!">Click Here</a>

mwinter
06-06-2005, 07:33 PM
A little more on alt vs. title...

I would like to know if I or you can put something like an alt="" so when you hover the mouse over a menu item, it will show a small discription like you do when you hover over an image on the screen.The behaviour that you describe is believed by many, myself included, to be a mistake by a select few browser manufacturers.

The alt attribute defines alternative text that is meant to replace the image if it cannot be rendered for some reason: the network fails to send, or corrupts the data; the browser cannot interpret the image format; the user has disabled the use of images; the user agent is a text browser, Braille device, screen reader, or aural browser. The text was never meant to be a tooltip. Moreover, the name of the attribute - alternative text - implies that the image and its replacement are exclusive, not complementary.

As John suggested, the title attribute (usable with virtually all elements) is what should be used when tooltips are desired.

Mike