PDA

View Full Version : extending a secondary monitor

boogyman
04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
A couple of week ago my laptop monitor crapped out, so the other day I hooked up another monitor to it... this allowed me to boot up my computer and see my desktop.

While trying to adjust some settings and extract some of the data on the hard-drive, I accidentally extended my desktop onto the "secondary" monitor. This caused the image on my laptop monitor (broken) to be the primary desktop and the screen on the external monitor the secondary screen. The problem is that now I cannot reverse the effect, and I cannot do any work until my external monitor (secondary screen) is returned to the primary screen and I can get back to transfering the data accordingly....

so the question is... does anyone know how to move the properties screen using the arrows on the keyboard...

PS the laptop only has support for 1 external monitor so I cannot extend another external monitor in hopes that becomes the primary... and I have tried to reboot my laptop with the extra monitor hooked up and it will not reset the external to be the primary...

If anyone can help I would be much appreciated, thanks

tfit
04-05-2008, 08:33 PM
what os and laptop are you using?

boogyman
04-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Windows XP and HP w2007 LCD

tfit
04-05-2008, 08:40 PM
w2007 LCD looks indeed like it said a lcd, but i like to know the make of your laptop

thetestingsite
04-05-2008, 08:55 PM
If you move the mouse over to the second monitor and right click on the desktop, there should be an option in the menu that says 'Graphics Options' or similar. If you go to this option, you should be able to see something that makes the second monitor your main one. If that doesn't work, I will have to think about it a little bit more in order to give you a better solution (unless someone else can think of something first).

Hope this helps.

boogyman
04-05-2008, 08:57 PM
second monitor and right click on the desktop, there should be an option in the menu that says 'Graphics Options' or similar.
There is no graphics options

but i like to know the make of your laptop
what else you want to know

tfit
04-05-2008, 09:06 PM
The type of the laptop. I'm guessing it's a pavillion, but 6700, 2000, 9700 etc. Some of these models use different functions keys. Have you already tried fn+f4 or fn+f5. That's the simple answer. More likely you need to change your screen settings in xp and choose your lcd as primary again. That's why i am asking for what make.

boogyman
04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
the laptop is Gateway... I run a couple of systems here, but my laptop was my business computer, so its not just easily disposable.

More likely you need to change your screen settings in xp and choose your lcd as primary again. That's why i am asking for what make.
I know that is what I need to do... thats why I am posting here... to figure out if anyone knows how to do that

thetestingsite
04-05-2008, 09:25 PM
If you right click on the desktop, click on properties, then click on settings. There you should be able to change which monitor is the default.

Hope this helps.

tfit
04-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Well I can tell you, but I wouldn't be sure without the make. But this is what you can do:
rightclick on your desktop - properties - settings - advanced and from there on I can't help you anymore without the make, but there will likely be a setting tools of some kind under which you should be able to choose your primary screen

boogyman
04-05-2008, 09:28 PM
yes I know that... but umm... the properties modal is on located on the primary monitor, my laptop, aka I cannot see it....

which again is the reason i posted here....

I am asking if anyone knows a method that I can move that modal with my left/right arrows on the keyboard

I have attempted to try and "grab" it and drag it over to the secondary monitor, but I have been unable to do so

tfit
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Maybe it's possible with ultramon. But your videocard needs to be supported. I tried it, but mine videocard wasn't supported. So can't tell you if it would work, but program seems fairly useful.

tech_support
04-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Try moving your cursor to the left, and drag to the right. Think of it as battleship. Eventually, you'll hit the window and will be able to move it. It'll take time. The window is usually near the top-left corner.

boogyman
04-06-2008, 06:20 AM
If you right click on the desktop, click on properties, then click on settings. There you should be able to change which monitor is the default.
like i said before, I have tried that before..... i am about 6/7 tries into the "battleship" method of grabbing the secondary monitor....

tech_support
04-06-2008, 08:00 AM
That's not enough tries. Try again.

boogyman
04-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I have made like 2/300 attempts now to do a miracle drag n drop but still have been unable to get the screen... anyone else offer any advice / clues?

tfit
04-08-2008, 07:15 AM
have you looked at ultramon http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

boogyman
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I actually hooked up another computer to two computers and used keyboard commands to right the problem... I dont know if this will ever be useful but here are the commands I used on a Windows XP formated computer

right-click > properties (on extended monitor)
TAB x4
ARROW-RIGHT x4
TAB x2
ARROW-DOWN
TAB x5*
SPACE BAR
ENTER
ENTER
-- if you still do not have your secondary monitory as your primary screen, hit Fn+F4/F5 to change primary from one monitor to the second

* if you get a large "2" on your extended screen you have gone 1 tab too far. When I tested this on a desktop this was the count, however on my laptop I had TAB x4.