PDA

View Full Version : KDE / Cygwin

jscheuer1
06-04-2005, 08:01 AM
I recently discovered this cool OS shell called Cygwin that you install on a win32 computer and along with a KDE package it is supposed to let you explore a unix type OS, even run Konqueror, which is what got me interested in it in the first place. It is all free but, the online install is notoriously buggy. The main problem is that none of the dl sites are fast enough so, some files get skipped. I've installed the bash shell and initialized it to launch Cygwin but I'm missing dummy.tar.bz2, Cygqt-mt.dll (could be in the tar file) and possibly Cygintl-3.dll (I think I finally got that one) and possibly other files. I was able to fill in the bulk of the missing files by downloading them directly from mirror sites and doing a local install. Anyone know where I can find dummy.tar.bz2 or have any suggestions for me about what I am attempting to do?

cr3ative
06-04-2005, 09:27 AM
All I can suggest is checking the validity of your packages against the reference ones at
http://www.cygwin.com/packages/

Good luck!
cr3

jscheuer1
06-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks cr3! Um, I've been Googling about, still no real luck. However, I am getting tantalizingly closer. I did a reinstall with the online installer and the bash shell now has configured itself to launch the cygwin GUI, still coughing but, only on cygqt-mt-3.dll. I see other folks have had this same problem so, I am sure I will find a solution sooner or later.

cr3ative
06-04-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm going to reboot into Windows and install it myself. If I get the file, I'll send it to you.

:)
cr3

/edit: I have a very good connection to mirror.ac.uk

cr3ative
06-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't get this file either. I guess there's a bit of a problem with the installer.

Regards,
cr3

jscheuer1
06-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey, this is way cool, I'm surfing with Konqueror right now! My final solution - I Googled 'ftp: cygqt-mt-3.dll' it returned two results. One, a tutorial on installing scribus had links to two tar files. I downloaded and un-tarred them manually and voila! Here I am. It was a little more complicated than that, so if anyone wants details I'll try to explain the whole process. New problem - Konqueror isn't showing jpegs. I think I may have missed that unit. This is neat though.

jscheuer1
06-04-2005, 11:53 PM
It's not jpg's that are the problem but, rather only certain ones, not sure what the story is on this. Anyone have ideas? If a jpg does display I can use the view image and see it in its own window as well but, if it doesn't display, Konqueror still knows it name but won't even display it in its own window with view image.