View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in slideshow IE "Operation aborted"

efru
03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
1) Script Title:
Ultimate Fade-in slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:

Page : http://new.johnsondevelopment.com/gallery.php ...or any other page on the site except the index..

Browser : IE7 on XP

This script works PERFECTLY on Firefox/Opera/Safari, but internet explorer is throwing this "Operation aborted" (nice error code btw) randomly throughout the site. Sometimes the pages work, sometimes they bomb. I have the script I'm suppose to put in my header stored in an external .js file, located at :
http://new.johnsondevelopment.com/js/image_rotate.js

You'll see from the sourcecode that I had to make a few different arrays, for the different sections on the site.

I've read a lot on this from random pages across the internet, and I guess the problem lies with this script running before the body is finished...so I put a body onload="fadeshow();"...no luck. Same thing. I'm mostly a PHP dev, not very much into Java, so this may be an easy fix..

Does anyone know how I can get past this, sans driving to everyones house in the world and deleting internet explorer?

Thanks in advance

efru
03-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Please note that this may do the same thing in other versions of IE, just don't have access to them today.

Also, the amount of images is 58, totaling 3.2mb.

efru
03-20-2008, 06:24 PM
bumpp

efru
03-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Can anyone see anything wrong?

efru
03-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Is there a possibility to talk to the dev of this script?

efru
03-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Figured this out, and will post for others with this problem in the future.

This script doesn't play well with Lightbox, a javascript image viewer. Once I commented out lightbox, the errors went away.

eric4
03-30-2008, 12:39 AM
I have this exact same problem, Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.51) is called on all pages, and with Lightbox v2.04 gives the "Operation aborted" in IE.

Do you have a work-around that allows both to run on the same page?

Thanks,
Eric4

Art Vandelay
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Yes, same problem here. But not on all computers and not always. It's absolutly strange.

I had to write a script in our CMS that the slideshow and lightbox is never embedded in the same pages.

fs78
05-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I have the same problem!
I would match Ultimate Fade-in Slideshow with Lightbox (2.04) They work together on every browsers except IE7, "Operation Aborted"!

WHY?!?

Is there anyobdy could help me?!

Thanks!

jscheuer1
05-07-2008, 03:14 PM
U Fade does have a bug in its code:

for (p=0;p<theimages.length;p++){
this.postimages[p]=new Image()
this.postimages[p].src=theimages[p][0]
}

It should be:

for (var p=0;p<theimages.length;p++){
this.postimages[p]=new Image()
this.postimages[p].src=theimages[p][0]
}

Just adding the var declaration will make it a local, not global setting.

But for that to conflict with another script, the other script would need a global object or variable p as well. However, in IE, even an element with an id or name of p could conflict. In IE, sometimes even a class name, and in rare cases I've seen upper and lower case being ignored, so that even a P object would conflict.

Make the change and see what happens.

Still, this might not be the issue at all. And each of you complaining in this thread may be experiencing separate problems. To get the actual line number of the error in IE, all external scripts must be put directly on the page.

roaminajeep
07-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I have also ran into this error with lightbox. I am instantiating the lightbox object inside my page so I can get access to all of it's members.

The issue:
I have the JS located at the end of the page so it runs when the page loads. The lightbox JS cannot run before the body loads or else you get this error in IE.

The Fix:
I am working with an ascx page embedded inside and aspx page. So I created a JS function to instantiate the object on the master aspx page and call the function when the body loads.

<body onload="onPageLoad()">

Hope this helps.