PDA

View Full Version : Forms question...

Furydoll
03-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Hello. I've been building a form with quite a few checkboxes in order to enable clients to subscribe to various free publications. There are quite a few, so it's been suggested that it would be nice to include a panel on the page that lists the person's selections as they progress down the page... Is it possible to do this with Javascript or DHTML? I'm teaching myself a lot of this as I go, so if anyone knows of a really good basic example of this I could check out and maybe (a) copy or (b) realise it's beyond me and run away, that would be great! Many thanks.

boogyman
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
this is possible with Javascript, by setting a cookie, however if the user has Javascript and/or cookies disabled then you would not retain the information.

a better solution would be to use a database table that tracks the user (by some unique identifier) and the magazine (unique identifiers)

by having three tables
1 for users
1 for magazines/publications
1 that references user / publication

your information is stored regardless and the user could just check in on it from some page (panel). the downside is that you need a server-side based language and access to a database. PHP and MySQL are both open-source, so you would just need to find a host that has access to those.