PDA

View Full Version : Dragable Elements - Compatibility

two-add-two-equals-five
05-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Script : Dragable elements Script
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/image3.htm

Hi - For a university project i am working on developing a website that is based around this script as i wish to make the site highly interactive. I have used this script before and it has been successful on my windows pc. Unfortunately the project brief states that the website has to work cross platfrom on all systems, this is difficult to achieve anyway unless you have a very simple design - but the dragable elements script will not work on my mac OSX system.

I understand that browser dhtml compatibilty does differ between the two platforms, but i would really appreciate it if somebody could help me with a solution to this, as the bulk of my design is based around this script. I have tried various google searches but have still found nothing.

Thanks.

mwinter
05-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately the project brief states that the website has to work cross platfrom on all systems [...]Does the project brief also stipulate against relying on scripts? I would hope so, particularly if this is a Web development course.

this is difficult to achieve anyway unless you have a very simple designUmm. Since when?

the bulk of my design is based around this script.Basing a design around any script is usually the sign of a bad design.

As for any particular 'solution', it would require a complete rewrite so that it's not dependent upon proprietary features:

[Edit: alternative code deleted]

Contrary to the instructions for the original script, do not include the out-dated rubbish like the language attribute and SGML comment delimiters (<!-- -->). These sorts of instructions seem to be phasing out of the site: the sooner the better. Also, I think 'move' would be a better cursor value:

<style type="text/css">
.drag {
cursor: move;
position: relative;
}
</style>

<script type="text/javascript">
/* ... */
</script>Mike

jscheuer1
05-31-2005, 06:06 PM
A simple search for 'cross browser drag drop image javascript' on Google yielded this and many other links. This first should work in Mac browsers like FF and NS (tested here in their Win versions), possibly IEmac and Safari:

http://www.walterzorn.com/dragdrop/dragdrop_e.htm