PDA

View Full Version : Update JDK Linux

Jas
03-17-2008, 12:54 AM
How do I update my version of Java JDK on linux Ubuntu? I've been looking, but I can't find the answer. Do I have to uninstall and then reinstall? I'm sure the answer is simple, but I can't find it.
I forgot to mention that right now I have JDK5, and I need the current version, which is 6 something

Jas
03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know how to uninstall Java at least?

boxxertrumps
03-20-2008, 08:14 PM
You'd have to tell us how you installed it the last time.
if it came with ubuntu you'd have to look for the jdk package in synaptic...

sudo apt-get update would do you some good too.

oh: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Jas
03-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Thank you for the reply. I was starting to wonder if anyone reads the Java threads. :D

As for the website, that is how I installed it. I finally changed the version to 6, but I need version 6 update 5. *Sigh* Any ideas?

Twey
03-21-2008, 03:34 PM
It's possible that the Ubuntu devs don't consider JDK6 stable or proven enough to include in the mainstream distribution yet. Try universe and multiverse, but be aware that things may break.

Jas
03-21-2008, 04:58 PM
It's possible that the Ubuntu devs don't consider JDK6 stable or proven enough to include in the mainstream distribution yet.
I thought of that, and I suspect that may be true. Or perhaps they're just not on the ball :p

Try universe and multiverse, but be aware that things may break.

What? (sorry, I'm very slow with Linux)

Twey
03-23-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components

It should be in universe now, if I remember correctly.

Jas
03-25-2008, 03:26 AM
okay, I gotcha. :) Thanks, Twey. How do I actually get it from there? i.e. What's the command? (I've already enabled it in the software sources.)

Twey
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Open up synaptic and have a look.

Jas
03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow! Thanks! I had no idea all that was there. :o But I still don't see the right version. I take it that that means Ubuntu doesn't have it?

By the way, Twey, do you use Ubuntu, or is your version of linux just similar?

I ended up installing C++ instead :D

Twey
03-26-2008, 06:11 PM
No, my preferred Linux distribution (Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/)) is, happily, nothing like Ubuntu. :)
But I still don't see the right version. I take it that that means Ubuntu doesn't have it?After enabling universe in synaptic? Likely.

Jas
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
After enabling universe in synaptic? Likely.
Darn. Alright then . . . I guess I have to wait until it's released (the newest release has some added graphics components that I was wanting to play with). Thanks for the help :)

No, my preferred Linux distribution (Gentoo) is, happily, nothing like Ubuntu. :)
So you researched it for me? Here comes the warm fuzzy feeling, lol. You must of used it before, though, right?

Thanks again, Twey.

Twey
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm familiar with most of the major distros, even if I haven't used them personally. I get questions like this, you see :)

'Researched...' yes, if a single Google query counts as research :p