PDA

View Full Version : Installing FTP server in Linux

Jas
03-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Yes, that's right-- I finally got Linux (Ubuntu) installed. You guys convinced my to use Linux instead of WinXP. :) I also went ahead and installed XAMPP onto the comp because-- as far as I understand it-- it's the closest to WAMP, which is what I used to test the website in on Windows. Away. . .

Being new to Linux, I had a tough time installing XAMPP (no exe's?! lol), but I finally got it. Now I am trying to tackle the FTP server. I have no idea what I am doing, so can someone please walk me through the process? I have been trying for hours, but I have had no luck. I need to know in detail, what to do to install any FTP server (I am not feeling picky at this point). How do I download it? How do I install it? How do I start it?

Thanks, guys. I know this is probably a really dumb question in your eyes, but I don't know what to do.

BTW: if you have any LINUX advice, do share :) I know nearly nothing about it at this point.

thetestingsite
03-03-2008, 03:17 AM
aptitude install proftpd

Hope this helps.

Jas
03-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. But, er, I'm new to linux, so that means nothing to me. Sorry, I know to you guys this is self explanatory, but I need details. I tried to execute that in the Terminal, but it didn't work. I suspect that I have to download something first?

Jas
03-05-2008, 03:04 AM
What a <insert synonym for brainless fool here> I am! Could no one tell me that XAMPP comes with proftp? lol I can't believe I spent all that time looking, and I already had it. . . .:o This is probably the lowest point of my coding life.

Anyway. Can someone put me out of my misery and tell me how to change the user name and password?

jeniffer_key
03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Insteed of doing all this I recommend you to use AnyClient (http://www.anyclient.com) because it is a free platform independent file transfer application that supports all major file transfer protocols including FTP/S, SFTP and WebDAV/S & requires no software installation.

I hope my advice Work for you.:)

Jas
03-05-2008, 06:57 PM
I think I'm going to stick to proftpd. I just need to figure out how to set up the username/password. The documentation for proftpd really stinks.