PDA

View Full Version : Registry File Error blue screen! help

fileserverdirect
02-29-2008, 10:53 PM
:eek::eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:
Just any ordinary day when I started up my Windows XP Laptop. It looks like it loads like normal, saying "Windows XP" and a progress bar. But instead of the welcome screen, a solid blue screen comes up saying:

Registry File Error:
Cannot load hive file (or somthing like that)
in /systemroot/etc/etc/etc/blah/SYSTEM
BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY...
DUMP COMPLETE.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN AND HOW CAN I FIX IT?(sorry for caps)
When I re-started it, a black screen with white text came up saying there was an error with the last shutdown or somthing and it gives you options, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Network etc... and Boot Windows Normally. Ho can I fix this????
:claming down:
Thanks guys,

thetestingsite
03-01-2008, 12:20 AM
We had that happen a few times on some of our work computers after a few power outages. Sometimes it was the MB, but the majority of the time it was the HD. Then again, there were times when that black screen with white text that you referred to would pop up, if you selected something like "Use Last Known Good Configuration", it fixed the issue. There were sometimes where we had to completely re-install Windows and sometime where we just had to repair it. Just a few options there for you.

Hope this helps.

darkwolf
03-01-2008, 01:46 AM
hi
Boot windows normally and write done excactly what it says on the screen mate and maybe i can help you. Many years repairing and you will be surpised how many error screens you can get all meaning different things...

BLiZZaRD
03-01-2008, 06:05 PM
There was a problem with your boot sector reading the registry in reference to a hive file. This is fairly common among older computers. It is a simple fix. You have 2 options.

First when you see that black screen with white text, as Test pointed out, select "Use Last Known Good Configuration" Usually this will work, as it will read/write to the correct hive file it was previously using. You will lose minimal, if anything, as far as data.

The second is to use the system recovery disk for your computer. Detailed instructions are found here (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm)

Maggzie
06-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi, Im new here, I have exactly the same problem as above but on Windows Vista... Laptop only 3 months old ... ... ... ... ... very annoyed with it! any advice? thanks.

tech_support
06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
The best option if it's only 3 months old is to go get it fixed it wherever you bought it from since it's under warranty.