PDA

View Full Version : Unclear Pictures

Toshk
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
i have uploaded some pictures to my website and on my computer and on my mums they are clear, but on my dads they are unclear, like a covering of dots.

this is what it looks like:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii270/Toshk/testpic.jpg

why is it doing this and how do I stop it from happening?

boogyman
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
the picture itself may be grainy and if your fathers computer has better resolution the graininess would show up, where on a computer with a lower resolution / dpi might migrate the grains into the picture itself...

either that or there is a configuration on your fathers computer that is rendering the image incorrectly. open up the image in an editing program like Photoshop / PaintShop Pro / GIMP / Fireworks and check the image for imperfections... if it displays correctly there than its most likely a configuration with the second computer that is causing the graininess

Toshk
02-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks,
but i've just noticed something else, i have got lightbox on the page so that when i click on the picture it expands in the centre of the screen. this is not happening on my dads computer, when i click on the picture nothing happens.

djr33
02-28-2008, 09:24 PM
That's awful. What program are you using? It has horrible jpeg compression settings.

You're giving us few details, which makes it very hard to diagnose. The fact that it's your dad's computer means nothing, since we don't know what operating system, version, or programs either of you use. Simplest answer may be that his colors are on a low setting, but that would make ALL images look like that.

What browser is he using? How old is the computer?

It sounds like your dad's computer is old and/or using old settings/software. But that's all I can speculate about.

Also, please only post one time. We will get to your question.

Toshk
02-28-2008, 10:07 PM
both me and my dads computer are xp serveice pack 2 and we both have internet explorer 7. the only differences between me and my dads computer are that he's got dual core 3ghz and i've got quad and i've got 2gb of graphics and he's got 512mb.

i used photoshop to make the images smaller.

here is a link to the page with the pics on, see what they look like and tell me(by the way the pictures in this link don't have lightbox yet) (if you click "akcja letnia 2007" in the menu on the right you can try the lightbox to see if it works).

http://www.stanica.99k.org/budowadzwon.htm

but i still don't understand why this would effect the lightbox.

djr33
02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
There are some seriously screwed up things in that page, including a no right click script. Though I can find ways around that, I don't really want to bother, to be honest.

Take off some of the weird Javascript, and see what parts do weird things.

I can't tell from what you're saying if that picture actually looks good on your computer or if just the original file does, because it looks awful on here, and this is a Mac (so different enough it isn't a windows problem, etc) that I use for serious graphics work, so this should display a page correctly.

It looks like you saved the images at a low color depth-- is your monitor set to that so you think it looks normal?

EDIT: Oh, ok. You saved the image as a .jpg above, which confused me. The answer is simple-- you're using .gif. Don't. It's meant for graphics, not photos, and is only capable of 256 different colors in any given images, so that's why you get the odd pixelation. Save as a jpg originally and your problem will be fixed.

Toshk
02-28-2008, 11:37 PM
YESSS :)

With your help i maged to figure out what it was.

i went into tools and then page options and found that Frontpage was downsizing the image files(turning them into a .gif)

and even though I was linking a .JPG it was still usisng the .gif.

but it's still wierd that on my computer it came out normal and on my dads it didn't, i've just chacked and it comes out ok on my dads.

Thanks again

djr33
02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Ah, frontpage. Yes, that will cause problems. Frontpage is the worst of the worst, to be blunt.