PDA

View Full Version : screensaver stops

StickBoy
02-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Windows XP Home
Have had the optical mouse for years and it's not wireless!
Recently my screensaver has stopped working. If I reboot it will work for a while and then I will leave the computer and return and see that it is not working anymore. I leave it on all the time, so I'd kinda like it to run!
I haven't added any new software except for updates to Windows and other things already on here. Any ideas?
I have tried changing the screensaver but still didn't work. I looked in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop or: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop) and all settings are as they should be to run. I'm not using it with passwords.
Any ideas?

Nile
02-24-2008, 03:58 AM
There are a few reasons that are causing this:
You might of deleted a file
You might of changed a content to an important file
Your computer is to old. ;)

StickBoy
02-24-2008, 04:32 AM
There are a few reasons that are causing this:
You might of deleted a file
You might of changed a content to an important file
Your computer is to old. ;)

Haha!
Um, funny thing is, I walked away after posting this thread and just returned to find the screensaver activated and running! I swear I did nothing! Why would it be buggy like that?

Nile
02-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Maybe, just maybe!
Your computer hates you. Ever thought of that!?
lol, idk. Post it on the Microsoft forums.

BLiZZaRD
02-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Background running applications. The more programs running in the background (AV, Firewall, update checkers, etc etc) won't stop the screen saver from coming on, but can slow the screensaver program from having required power usage rights. This will cause a lag, slow or stopping of the screen saver.

Check your task manager for any background running processes. Stop any that aren't needed, or switch to a less CPU intensive screen saver. (Star field, for example takes a LOT of CPU power to run)

StickBoy
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I am pretty sure this is not the case as I like to keep my computer as free as possible of background-running apps. (I am used to having computers with low memory so have gotten in the habit of making sure nothing runs in the background except those that need to be, even now that my computer has more memory.)
As well, I recently purged a lot of stuff and went through the Task Manager and msconfig to make sure nothing else was running except the few programs I want (including AV and firewall).
It's ironic that you mention Starfield because, although it wasn't my "original" screensaver, it's what I switched to in order to test if it was still working, and it was still set to Starfield when the screensaver decided to start working again. I have switched back and forth and the screensaver still works (for now). Again, I did nothing to the computer between my first post (when it wasn't working) and now (when it is working).
:confused:

BLiZZaRD
02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
System or program auto updates were most likely the culprit. Either checking for the, downloading or installing them.

Hard to say now, but keep an eye out and if it happens again check the task manager to see what is running.

StickBoy
02-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Will do, thanks.