PDA

View Full Version : FTP Client for Linux?

BLiZZaRD
02-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I am looking for a comparable client to Filezilla. I hate Kasablanca and gftp is just too weak.

I would prefer one with auto transfer, nice GUI (I don't want a CLI one) and good settings options.

If I could make filezilla for Linux.. that's what I am after... any ideas?

boogyman
02-20-2008, 09:36 PM
how about FileZilla for linux? :p

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/FileZilla-Download-24197.html

BLiZZaRD
02-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Well, now don't I feel sheepish. Last time I downloaded FZ it was still Windows only. :)

I guess it would benefit me to research a bit before getting all "posty" about silly things, eh?

Thanks I will try it out!

Twey
02-22-2008, 08:08 PM
gftp is just too weak.Eh? gftp is a pretty awesome client. Have you seen all the protocols it does?

Of course, KDE has automatic support for most of them because of kioslaves :) Konqueror makes a great FTP client.

BLiZZaRD
02-22-2008, 10:44 PM
yes, I have used gftp for the last couple years. It just doesn't do exactly what I need. mainly the lack of auto upload (ACSII or Binary) I have to choose and I forget a lot of the time and have to re-upload. I am just lazy and don't like to swap the methods. :D

Twey
02-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, if you're using KDE you can use kioslaves and save a file directly to an FTP URL. It's transparent.

BLiZZaRD
02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't venture over to KDE very often. I have grown used to Gnome. (not that kioslaves is the same) I have noticed that everything I have used for Gnome is also used in KDE and vice versa. So I really have to ask whats the point of the swap?

Twey
02-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Well, in this case the ability to save directly to a remote site from your editor. You don't have to be in KDE, just use a KDE editor, it should run under GNOME as well.

I'm on GNOME right now, as it happens, due to Qt3's rubbish glyph substitution capabilities, and there are a bunch of things that bug me about it: it's slow, it leaks like a sieve and becomes unusable after being left open for a few days, it does weird things with focus, its terminal messes up, its file dialogues insist on scanning every file in a directory before letting me open/save there (choosing a helper app from /usr/bin takes ages), and it's not very customisable (and the default themes are very bland-feeling). It has a sort of minimalistic charm, and a few neat features (like handling my various Xmodmap files on startup for me) but not worth ditching KDE for, I think.

BLiZZaRD
02-24-2008, 04:18 PM
it's slow, it leaks like a sieve and becomes unusable after being left open for a few days, it does weird things with focus, its terminal messes up, its file dialogues insist on scanning every file in a directory before letting me open/save there (choosing a helper app from /usr/bin takes ages), and it's not very customisable (and the default themes are very bland-feeling). It has a sort of minimalistic charm, and a few neat features (like handling my various Xmodmap files on startup for me) but not worth ditching KDE for, I think.

Which version do you use? With which flavor? I haven't closed or rebooted my system (save for a kernel upgrade) in over a year. I leave it on 24/7 and it has never not responded. I most of the time leave Fx and Thunderbird open as well (at least at work).

I also wonder how a GUI can be slower on the same machine than another?? What do you have Gnome loading that KDE doesn't? Or are you talking about opening things, like browsers and system folders?

You obviously use way more of the system than I do but I use terminal a lot as well and I haven't noticed any "messing up" there either.

Perhaps I will sign into KDE for a while and see what shakes.

Twey
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
2.20.0.1, on Gentoo.
I also wonder how a GUI can be slower on the same machine than another?? What do you have Gnome loading that KDE doesn't? Or are you talking about opening things, like browsers and system folders?Menus sometimes take a few seconds to appear; hover/click effects usually lag noticeably just a little behind the mouse. If I'm doing other things, sometimes text does the same when I'm typing.
You obviously use way more of the system than I do but I use terminal a lot as well and I haven't noticed any "messing up" there either.It's mostly with ncurses apps. If I minimise the terminal then restore it, the ncurses window will be blank or incorrectly sized until I do a ctrl-L to manually refresh.

BLiZZaRD
02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Ahh.. I just remembered why I stay on Gnome... my screenwriting program - Celtx - currently only runs smoothly on Gnome. Something about the build being based off FireFox, and KDE support of that or something... I dunno. Anyway, thats my reason. :p

While you are here though.. instead of starting a new Linux thread.. perhaps you can help me out with a nagging problem I am having? Screen Resolution...

I have a ViewSonic VX11935wm 19" widescreen monitor here at work. resolution SHOULD be set at 1440X900 at 60Hz refresh.

When I first installed Fedora (and I have tried with Ubuntu as well, same thing happens) I didn't have 1440x900 res. I went through all kinds of files and configs and ended up writing in the res on some config file. Now, here is the basic problem as I see it (actually *see* it) and perhaps you can help me figure it out.

Main problem I am NOT at 1440x900 even though everything says I am. It is close, but appears to be a stretched 1280x1024, and I am at 75Hz, if I switch to 60Hz it isn't supported. Now from boot up:

I press power on the computer it loads Grub everything looks fine as far as resolution, appears to be standard 1440x900. I can only tell because I have that res at home and on all other computers at work, so I see it a lot. Then I choose Fedora from Grub and screen blinks. Starting kernel screen appears.. normal still... get to X-server and screen blinks and goes to letterbox. I have black bars on the left and right of the screen. Like watching a full screen movie on a widescreen tv... same thing.

X finishes loading and I am at my log in screen. Same thing, only the screen has justified to the right so I only have a black bar on the left side.

Here is the weird part... it is EVERYTHING on the screen. Not just the graphics.. the text is "squashed" together, the cursor is taller and more slim than normal.. everything is squashed. Once I sign in the screen blinks again and I am at my desktop... mouse, text, icons are normal (a tad large, but not squished) but again, I am not using 1440x900 res.

Any ideas on a fix? I have been through a lot, but will try anything again.