PDA

View Full Version : New computer help!?

Taz X14
02-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi, I just got a new computer and have been having some doubts and problems. For starters I got the Intel quad core q6600 processor, 4GB or ram, 320GB of HDD, and a unika 8800gt golden gamer graphics card. Now I ended up getting the 8800gt golden gamer last minute due to a pricing error with my original card which was supposed to be the 8800GTX. My friend jumped in last minute calling people and trying to pull things and got me this card saying it was VERY close to the GTX. I didn't really have much time to decide so I went with it.

Now I've tried installing a few games and nothing works and I keep getting compatability errors. I tried Starcraft. CnC generals and was going to try Crysis, but figured I'd rather not due to my luck as it is.

Now I just want to know 2 things, 1 was my friend right or wrong about the graphics card and 2, has anyone heard of these compatability issues?:eek:

BLiZZaRD
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a driver problem.. If you have the asus MoBo then you will need to go to Unika and get the latest drivers. The computer should have come with Vista, and if you downgraded to XP then you need to ensure you have ALL the drivers for everything, especially the MoBo and the Vid/Aud cards.

Run specs on your card to ensure it is reading all 1024MB of memory.

Also check your Computer properties (even if you have to enter start-up) and ensure the machine is reading all 4gig of Ram.

Taz X14
02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
One last thing is just to ask whether my friend was pulling my chain on this one or not? I haven't been able to find anything on this card on the net anywhere.

BLiZZaRD
02-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Your card is okay, not perfection, but not horrible. It is toting high specs (1 gig memory, 728 shading, etc.) but none of that is worth anything. There isn't any game out that really takes advantage of D-x10 yet, and even Crysis doesn't need anything more than 512MB memory.

You can also run BIOS on start up to ensure you are using Video PCI x16, and not integrated and not PCI x1. This will help frame rates a tiny bit.

And you won't find a lot out about Unika, they are merely a developer and not a front end business, as such. Based in China they aren't "secretive" they just use their boards under a better name, (not MUCH better)

You can see some images and benchmarks here (http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=70084) but most is in Chineese.

Advice: Save up the 300 bucks and get Nvidia 86 or 8800 GT or GS models. Great mid-range cards with TONS of support and features. (and the SLI works better here as well)

darkwolf
02-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi
where did youget pc from? What OS you using
This pc should eat these games as im thinking there old games right?
or starcraft is requirments here:

Windows 95/98/NT
Pentium 90 or higher
16 MB RAM
DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card

if your using vista its not very forgiving with older games

Taz X14
02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok, I'm kinda new te whole PC scene, how do I add or change my BIOS?

BLiZZaRD
02-23-2008, 04:46 PM
To enter BIOS you will need to press the hotkey when rebooting. USUALLY it is F2, on some HP machines it is F10, either way it will tell you as the computer boots up.

Look for the initial splash screen, you will usually see "Hit F2 to Enter Setup" just start pressing F2, after a little more loading you will enter the BIOS set up screen.