PDA

View Full Version : Drop-down Document Viewer II

mopheen
02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey guys or gals, I'm having the most difficult time on the getting my code to work. It's a simple Drop-down Document Viewer and I'm trying to get it to work with a simple <input type="text"> rather then a button, image, or link.

Is this possible to have the user type in their own URL rather then one being already made?

Here is the link on what I'm talking about.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/dropdownview2.htm

Thank you in advance!
regards,
Mopheen:D

mopheen
03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
WOW, no one here can give me a hand. I'm still struggling on getting this to work. Any help would be great!:)

jscheuer1
03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
This has already been done several times, in several ways. When I get a chance I will either write yet another way, or find one of the other examples.

However, this entire approach has a few problems. Support for iframe is being phased out. Some browsers already support not allowing iframes. Even with an iframe available, many sites will not allow themselves to be displayed in an iframe. This isn't so bad when you, the designer get to pick the sites, but when the user can type in the addresses, there is no telling what sites will be chosen - therefore no way of knowing if these sites will allow themselves to appear in the iframe. Those that do not will take over the entire page, or at least try to (some users will find that when viewing this page on the internet over certain local networks not even that will be allowed, so a blank page may be displayed or some sort of error, or even a reprimand).

Try:

URL: <input type="text" id="theurl">
<input type="button" onclick="jumpto(document.getElementById('theurl').value);" value="Go!">