PDA

View Full Version : No right click script III (no alert) not working

Robert C Tracy
05-24-2005, 07:08 PM
I know that most of my viewers won't know how to steal my graphics with this script, but it doesn't work on this page (http://www.tracyfineart.com/music/freebies/freebies.htm) and I can't figure out my mistake. It'll function on any other page.

This page was created using Photoshop's Web Photo Gallery. Wonder if I missed placing the code somewhere during that process, but I don't think so.

What am I doing wrong?

mwinter
05-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I know that most of my viewers won't know how to steal my graphics with this scriptBut you do realise that:

It won't work in Opera, Firefox, and other user agents given the right software settings. In fact, with the "Allow script to receive right clicks" option disabled in Opera, no script will ever be able to suppress the context menu.
All context menu suppression scripts are easy to disable or circumvent, and any person accustomed to taking images will know how to do it, and anyone can search for methods on the Web.
You are disabling a feature that some users are familiar with using for navigation purposes.
By the way, I'm confused: you say that visitors are free to use those images without asking permission, but you attempt to prevent them from using the context menu. That doesn't make much sense. Now, the context menu isn't the only way to save images, but it is the most convenient, so why make users jump through hoops unnecessarily.

Finally, if users don't realise that "Terms of Use" is a link, they aren't likely to read your ToU document, are they? Feel free to remove the underline from links in locations where it is obvious that text is a link (for example, a navigation sidebar), but not when that link is embedded within regular text.

Mike