PDA

View Full Version : Media player goes black

carolinatim
02-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I have media player 11 installed, recently it has started going black screen while playing videos about 1/2 - 2/3 through the video. Audio plays OK to the end of the file but the video just goes black. This happens on new files as well as older ones I have played before and are saved on my computer.

tech_support
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Try downloading and installing the K-Lite Codec Pack (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm).

carolinatim
02-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Tried that, still the same problem.

carolinatim
02-16-2008, 04:41 PM
anybody have another suggestion? I have seen the same problem in a couple of other forums from 2-3 years ago but nobody answered them. I can play the files with VLC media player and they are fine all the way to the end.

BLiZZaRD
02-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Try playing a video in skins mode, as well as windowed, NOT full screen mode, and see if it still happens.

I know it sounds weird, but this is a posted fix, LMAO.

also, if it does continue to stop, download and reinstall WMP11 over the old one.

carolinatim
02-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Tried that also, and rolled back to WMP 10. Still does the same thing. I emailed microsoft, maybe they will answer me. Still open to suggestions from here tho!

BLiZZaRD
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Okay I am going to guess you have Vista? There seems to be a HUGE problem with Vista upgrades (did you come from XP on the same computer?) and WMP 11. The problem is Vista doesn't already have all of the codecs needed for all video types. This causes the error messages and the black screens.

You have a few options, I will list the 2 most probable here:

Download GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) Which is a codec finder. Basically you run this free utility and it will tell you which codecs are missing. You can then search google for the codec name and download/install them all. If you like WMP 11 this is what you want to do.

The other option is to drop WMP and go with another one. RealPlayer 11 is good and there is a free one called VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) that I have heard nothing but praise about. I run all my video/audio on Linux and have plenty of players so I haven't found the need to test out VLC myself.

ItsMeOnly
02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Did you try other players and if that happens with them too? If so, did you update the drivers for graphic card lately? The "black" going WMP might indicate that your overlay settings/control are messed up (and thus, overlay is destroyed after call for refresh/redraw). You'd need to check if all parameters are in sane limits.

carolinatim
02-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Sorry, I didn't say what OS I am running. I have XP home edition, and the files will play fine in VLC media player or with quicktime player for the MPEG's. the problem only exists in WMP.

carolinatim
02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
bump^

BLiZZaRD
02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Download GSpot Which is a codec finder. Basically you run this free utility and it will tell you which codecs are missing. You can then search google for the codec name and download/install them all. If you like WMP 11 this is what you want to do.

quote bump ;)

carolinatim
02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
OK, thanks. I thought that suggestion was for vista. I'll try it out!

carolinatim
02-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Not sure what to do with this now??

BLiZZaRD
02-23-2008, 04:44 PM
You don't examine the WMP itself, sorry if I made you think that, you examine the file that isn't working correctly.

here is a quick guide (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html) on how to run the application.

carolinatim
02-23-2008, 11:42 PM
OK, I got it that time. Used the app on the vidoes that go black in WMP and it found no problems. Like I said before, they will play fine using another player (except the wmv files that need WMP). I think the issue is with WMP and not the videos, but I'm no expert, that's why I'm here LOL.

BLiZZaRD
02-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Well we aren't looking for a problem with a media file. What GSpot does is take the file and runs it through WMP.exe in the back-end, then tries to find any missing codecs that WMP should have but doesn't. If nothing is returned all needed codecs for the player are there.

Next issue would be video card drivers, or a corrupt WMP 11 file. A complete uninstall of WMP 11 and re-install my help.

Also check your video card drivers for updates.

You have to remember WMP 11 was designed for Vista. It runs on XP but knowing how MS is with their proprietary rights who knows what that actual cause of the problem is. We will find it though.

carolinatim
02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, I tried rolling back to WMP 10, also reinstalled the drivers for my video card. Same results: video plays about 50% of the way then goes black, audio continues to the end as normal.

carolinatim
03-09-2008, 03:08 AM
bump^

BLiZZaRD
03-14-2008, 04:08 AM
I still think it is a codec for the WMP that got corrupt.. I am not sure. You said other programs work correctly though, any reason to not use those instead of WMP?