PDA

View Full Version : MS Word Viewer uninstall

StickBoy
02-15-2008, 01:36 AM
The short version:
I cannot install MS Word Viewer because it thinks I already have it. How can I remove all evidence of that old version and get this to install when Add/Remove won't remove it?

The more detailed version:
I had Microsoft's Word Viewer 2003 installed. Then I was told that it needed to be updated for security reasons. The security update could not find one of the installation files on my computer (why would I keep it?) so refused to update. So I re-downloaded the install file and tried to re-install it. It asked if I wanted to update the currently installed version. Sure. Nope, it can't find the installation files. What? No option to over-write or install a fresh version. I tried to use the Add/Remove tool in Control Panel but guess what? It couldn't uninstall because it couldn't find the installation files! Arg! Who keeps that stuff? And why doesn't it tell me I have to keep it?
So then I thought (maybe stupidly) that I could just delete the program file (wordview.exe) and all references to it in the Registry. I did that (in the process even deleting the program file from the Recycle Bin) and the installation still finds a previous instance on my computer. I don't know where else to look. How can I get rid of this and install it "new"?
Thanks!

Jas
02-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Forgive me, I know this is a stupid question, but did you restart your computer after uninstalling and deleting and what not? And did you try deleting the entire folder, if possible, and then restarting the computer again?

Sometimes that solves the problem. If you've already done that, it sounds dumb and obvious, but I just want to make sure you have. Try to remove all traces of the file by hand, and then restart the computer.

StickBoy
02-15-2008, 06:54 AM
I did restart after originally deleting the exe file, but I hadn't thought of deleting the folder, mainly because it also contains Excel Viewer (which updated just fine). It does contain other dlls though, so after reading your post I renamed the folder and restarted. But no luck. The install program is still detecting some remnants of the old program. I want to remove all traces by hand, I just don't know where to look.
The program comes from Microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en
And it installs to Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 11
(I don't have MS Office.)

Twey
02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
It'd possibly be more worthwhile to get OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/), which includes support for opening Microsoft Office documents.

Jas
02-15-2008, 03:11 PM
. . . mainly because it also contains Excel Viewer (which updated just fine). It does contain other dlls though,

I thought that might be the case.

so after reading your post I renamed the folder and restarted. But no luck. The install program is still detecting some remnants of the old program.
It could be that it is saving information elsewhere on your computer as well (leave it to Microsoft). I'm not sure that there is a whole lot that you can do. I don't think that renaming the folder normally has an effect-- although it was worth a try ;). But, yeah, my bet is that it's storing information in other places besides the actual folder. If you REALLY want to, you can search for all of the files modified on the date that you installed the program and check them one by one, but you might just want to call it quits. Or contact MS and see if they can offer some advice-- they no doubt can, but it might be a pain to contact them; I've never tried to.

It'd possibly be more worthwhile to get OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/), which includes support for opening Microsoft Office documents.
I've heard good things about open office. :) Never tried it,though.

EDIT: For the record, I do like MS :), but this type of stuff is annoying :(.

StickBoy
02-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I looked inside the cab file that comes with the install program and searched for all the files that are in that. Most are in the same folder as the program file was, but also found some in Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office 11
But that was all I could find. Again renamed the folder but no luck.
I though renaming would be effective since it takes forever for the Search function to find anything, the install program can't possibly find it as fast as it does if it doesn't know where to look. Can it?
I feel like there must be something in the registry or some other non-obvious folder.
I'm thinking of installing OpenOffice but it's so huge (over 100MB?!) for the limited use I will have for it. I use Foxit to read pdf files because it opens faster than Adobe Reader. I don't want to have to load an entire Office suite just to read some stupid attachment I received in an email....
So I'd really like to get this working :)

BLiZZaRD
02-15-2008, 11:01 PM
What it is finding is in the registry. Run the uninstaller again (if possible) then get CCleaner (http://ccleaner.com)

CCleaner is a multi utility that includes a registry cleaner. If you install CCleaner and run it you will see a tab on the left called Registry (original huh?) click that then on the right side click scan for issues. This may take a few moments, and it may appear "stuck" at both 88% and at 100%, but just be patient. Once the "Fix Selected issues..." button lights up click it, say yes to making a back up, save the backup somewhere secure (like My Documents folder, or something. (What this does is makes a registry file of everything on the list, so if there are problems after the clean up you can double click this file and everything gets added back)

Then remove all files on the list, and reboot. Try the install again.

StickBoy
02-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Incredible! I ran CCleaner and then re-booted. I hit the install program and it came up saying there was a previous installation and would I like to update it. This is the same message as always. This time when I hit Yes, it actually installed it! (Previously it would want to know where the previous installation file was.) I don't know what CCleaner found, but clearly it was the magic elixir. I shall be putting that in a priority tools folder! Very handy tool.
Thank you so much for pointing it out to me and for helping me get Word Viewer back! :D

BLiZZaRD
02-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Glad it worked for you :)