PDA

View Full Version : Rick-Click Disable II Problem

maryjos
02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
1) Script Title: Disable Right Mouse Click II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htm

3) Describe problem: While I know this script isn't going to stop some people from stealing images, my customer really wants it in place so that at least they have very clear knowledge upfront that it is not allowed, and to at least block the more clueless users out there (still a good majority :p). We really were excited to find this version that works only for images, so that all other right-click browser functions still work. However, it doesn't seem to work quite right in the latest version of Firefox (not sure about older versions). After you trigger the popup, the browser still pops up the right-click menu elsewhere on the page. Sometimes if you have multiple images on the page, it ends up letting them save a separate image. More problematic is if the image is a large image being shown in a popup window or floating div. In this situation the right-click menu appears right on the same image and allows them to save it right away. Not sure if this is worthy of being addressed, but thought I'd report the issue anyway.

Jas
02-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Good find, but a couple of my comments: The menu does not show up in the correct place, so there is no save image option :) (although it indeed should not show up at all), and the script itself is very useless in protecting images, because you can actually just drag and drop the image onto your decktop or a folder on your comp with or without the script (not to slam the script's creator, of course; scripts like that do come in handy, and I don't know if I could create something as clever).

jscheuer1
02-14-2008, 03:29 AM
About the only 'effective' method for 'preventing' right click on images that I am aware of is to place a transparent .gif image over the visible one. The user can still click and save, but all they will get is the transparent image.

This of course can easily be circumvented by anyone one with a bit of knowhow, but it stops the idiots.

This transparent image could have an onmousedown event to pop up the alert if you need that. The context menu will still show, but all they can get with it is the transparent image.

Jas
02-14-2008, 04:11 AM
About the only 'effective' method for 'preventing' right click on images that I am aware of is to place a transparent .gif image over the visible one. The user can still click and save, but all they will get is the transparent image.

This of course can easily be circumvented by anyone one with a bit of knowhow, but it stops the idiots.

This transparent image could have an onmousedown event to pop up the alert if you need that. The context menu will still show, but all they can get with it is the transparent image.

WOW! That's a very good idea. But still, if the user wants it, they merely have to follow the path in the source code to get it. But that is the best idea I have heard yet-- solves both problems (save image and drag and drop). I think, also, if you want to destory your page a bit, you can place images in the backgound of a div, or absolutly position them. Niether of those is as good as your solution, though, in my opinion.

EDIT: The background div thing really doen't work, come to think of it :p They could use the "Save Background As" option, lol.