PDA

View Full Version : Validation of Dynamic Drive scripts

drburt369
02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
1) Script Title: AnyLink Drop Down Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): AnyLink Drop Down Menu- Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)

3) Describe problem: When I try to validate this script in XHTML Transitional I get 80 errors. Is there anything I need to do to validate this script?

BLiZZaRD
02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Stop using XHTML? Transitional is even worse. see here for a brief explanation (http://www.autisticcuckoo.net/archive.php?id=2004/10/25/pretend-xhtml) There are others, if you really want to know more.

drburt369
02-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm a fairly new script writer, only been doing it about 6 months. I first learned html then went to xhtml & CSS. Are you saying I shouldn't use xhtml any more. What should I be using? Thanks for your input.

BLiZZaRD
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
It is a wide ranged battle, not as heated but much like the Mac vs. PC debate. There are those that swear the XHTML is the next thing and will be the best ever, and there are those, like myself that say stick with HTML.

XHTML isn't even supported by IE, and forces a mock XHTML to view. Basically it is making it a .txt and converting to basic HTML. Which, as you can guess causes a lot of view-ability issues.

XHTMLers fight back that HTML 4.01 is old and outdated and won't be revamped. But HTML 5.0 is in testing stages and actually going live already in some parts. The advent of XHTML2 got halted and doesn't look to be starting up again anytime soon.

My advice would be to code for HTML 4.01 Strict and go from there. All browsers support it and it can do wonders for cross-browser support and capabilities.