PDA

View Full Version : Online poll

Zaph
05-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is done in JS, but I'll try here first.

I need to know how to create an online poll for a page i'm working on.

All I need is for two options (yes and no for example) with either a button for each, or radio buttons and a submit button. I then need the response to be available in a table of some sort, which is displayed in a bar chart type of thing.

I have absolutely NO idea where to even start on this, so any hints will be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Martyn.

Zaph
05-26-2005, 08:17 PM
OK, guess not!

Never mind then, as it wasn't exactly what you would call mission critical, just thought it would be a fun thing to have on the page.

Martyn.

mwinter
05-26-2005, 10:59 PM
I thought I'd commented on implementing polls client-side before. It must have been on Usenet.

This has to be done server-side. You need some form of storage to hold the results, and it's better to generate the display code on the server, too. A basic implementation should be very simple, but features such as one-time voting will be more difficult, especially if there's no mandatory log in system. You wouldn't need to store who voted for what (you can hold secret ballots if you want), but you would need to record if someone participated in any given poll.

If you can't produce an implementation, you're bound to find examples on PHP or ASP equivalents of DD.

Mike