PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up my new computer

BLiZZaRD
02-09-2008, 01:31 AM
I feel like a tool. I posted earlier about my new machine (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28939). I got it today. Now I have some problems. I couldn't find anything on the net so I came here, hurridly to get some advice.

The problem basically is the new computer is an HP. For the last 8 years I have been exclusive to Dell. The new machine shipped with Vista Home Premium. That's the bulk of the problem. Vista. I don't want Vista.

I have an XP Pro new install disk. I am ready to install it, run RAID 0, use my new direct-x 10 GeForce 8600 video card on my new dual 19" HD Monitors, and have a lot of fun being really fast.

But I don't want to lose anything on the computer when I put XP on it. I am a bit intimidated.

I am not sure really how to explain the actual problem. I am scared to turn it on. I haven't even unwrapped the thing yet. I just sit here staring at it.

I just want everything to work. I want to put it all together, open the drive bay, insert the XP Pro disc, install XP, and then log on to the desktop and be just like it is right now except for the XP/Vista change.

Is that possible?

Please help! When doing this with a Dell, if I make a mistake I can format the whole drive and start over, using the supplied restore disks. HP doesn't come with software, it's all on a section of the harddrive. Will I overwrite this section when I put XP on it?

Has anyone dealt with this yet? AAAAAAAAAAA

Help!

boxxertrumps
02-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Once you put in the XP disk you should be able to delete the largest NTFS partition and happily install windows in that space. I could be wrong though, i'm not sure if raids are just treated as a large disk or not...

That shouldn't matter, really, because the restore partitions would just give you vista back.

I am scared to turn it on.

Aslong as it isn't Vista red, you shouldn't catch anything.

PS: dont feel bad, you aren't as paranoid as some people.
PPS: alot of people*
PPPS: MOST people*

BLiZZaRD
02-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Well, out of the box it is set up as "RAID ready" and I have to set it up as RAID 0 or RAID 1 (opting for RAID 0 )

So my thinking is nothing is on the second drive right now... Perhaps I will give it a try

.. unless someone else knows something box and I don't??

What is Vista Red??

djr33
02-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I'd say just wipe it all. Did you actually need any of the software you got on it? Plus, will that run on XP, as it's designed for vista?

boxxertrumps
02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/joinred/windows.aspx

BLiZZaRD
02-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I'd say just wipe it all. Did you actually need any of the software you got on it? Plus, will that run on XP, as it's designed for vista?

I spent about an hour on live support at HP yesterday and another 4 hours on the support forum. The only software I need is the lightscribe stuff, which is a free download, so I can get it later. The problem is drivers.

I am currently doing a search for all XP drivers for everything, and it does appear there is something for all hardware EXCEPT the IR remote. THere is a posted work around for that, but I am not sure. Once I have all the drivers I need I will plug it in and make a restore disc, then Ghost it. Install XP, then my drivers, and then we will see. I will let you know how it goes.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/joinred/windows.aspx

Ahh.. umm eww... no thanks. :D

djr33
02-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Red looks so creepy. "Watch windows bleed into your hardware."

Well, good luck. I don't think that bothering to save any of the current configuration will help with that, then. Just using vista will allow you to have the IR remote, etc., but that is a bit of a sacrifice. So, I'd say dump it and see how well you can recover.

BLiZZaRD
02-10-2008, 04:04 AM
Currently dumping. Still haven't decided to dump Vista yet (I know a lot of hacks for Vista to make it better) I am going to try it out a week or so first.

On an aside, this computer is flippin FAST! OMG installs are virtually nonexistant, as soon as I can click okay it's already asking me to view readme and reboot.

I downloaded OpenOffice in 22 seconds, Stellarium in 14, topped out at 1810KBs!

Holy cow!