PDA

View Full Version : Link Expiration?

raywolfdog
05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Hello, I can't seem to find anything that will tell me how to make a link/Hyperlink that will expire after a given amount of time, and thus only work for so long. I've seen Yahoo breifcase do it so I know its possible but I can't begin to decypher their source code on the link so I'm asking the pros, any Ideas? Thanks,

Ray

mwinter
05-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Hello, I can't seem to find anything that will tell me how to make a link/Hyperlink that will expire after a given amount of timeA URL never expires. However, the resource that is referred to may cease existing at some point in time.

I've seen Yahoo breifcase do it so I know its possibleI haven't really looked closely at the interactions - in other words, take this as a guess - but I expect the URLs are dynamically generated based on the session data of a logged-in user. Once that session has expired, the resources can no longer be accessed through that series of session-based URLs.

Though Yahoo obviously have a particular implementation, this is hardly different from any other form of member-only data. All they're probably doing is checking parts of the URL that indicate a particular user against a database. If that user is still logged in, the request is permitted. If not, it's rejected. Business as usual, really.

Mike