PDA

View Full Version : Java Applet Problem

krasher134
05-20-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm sure there may be someone here who has heard of the game, but for those who have not, "Fill It" is an extremely fun game... Alright, with that aside, I can't get it on my website. I've been to nearly every site with the applet on it and when I look at the code, the applet is named "Fillit.class", which tripod has trouble understanding. Is it that I need to figure out a way to get a url location for the applet or is tripod a bad host to use? Any help would be appreciated.

jscheuer1
05-21-2005, 05:06 AM
http://safariexamples.informit.com/0130320722/games/fillit/Fillit.zip

Worked here in IE but not FF (same as the online examples I found) when I downloaded and unzipped it. What seems to be the problem? Can't get it to work at all or, just not on your site? What browser are you using? Tripod does put alot of javascript on their free pages but, unless one is designed to abort Java Applets (a completely different animal) there shouldn't be a conflict. I've run across some hosts that don't allow Java Applets, have you checked Tripod's policy in this area?

krasher134
05-21-2005, 05:31 AM
http://safariexamples.informit.com/0130320722/games/fillit/Fillit.zip

Worked here in IE but not FF (same as the online examples I found) when I downloaded and unzipped it. What seems to be the problem? Can't get it to work at all or, just not on your site? What browser are you using? Tripod does put alot of javascript on their free pages but, unless one is designed to abort Java Applets (a completely different animal) there shouldn't be a conflict. I've run across some hosts that don't allow Java Applets, have you checked Tripod's policy in this area?

Thanks for the download, that definitely helped. I'm currently using FF but I tested it out in IE and got the same problem. The applet works on other sites that I go to, but it just doesn't work on mine. There shouldn't be a problem with the Applet through Tripod because every template they offer for their free sites allows for applet use, so I don't know what the problem is.

I encountered another problem when I tried to upload the .zip file to the file manager in Tripod: I keep getting this error message that says "Some of the files contained within your .ZIP file have invalid file names. Please rename your files and try uploading your .ZIP file again." They give you a list of possible reasons (having spaces or irregular symbols in the names, etc.) but when I go back and check each file name in the .zip file, I don't encounter this problem. Is Tripod simply rejecting the fairly uncommon .class, .dsp, .dsw, etc. file types?

-Matt

jscheuer1
05-21-2005, 06:11 AM
I don't know much about Tripod's U/L policy but, unless there is a way to unzip the files once uploaded, uploading the .zip file would be pointless. If there is a way, Tripod may be objecting to the fact that there is a recursed subdirectory in the .zip file and/or the fact that capital letters are used in filenames (some servers prefer all lowercase names). For your sake let's hope it is not the case of the letters as changing them without changing them in the Applet's files will probably cause errors. The good news about the recursed directory is that it contains just one image and is unnecessary for the game, I think. If needed for advance stages or, as a prize when you win, you could upload it separately later. My advice - unzip the file locally, then upload the files individually. Create the Gfx directory if needed and upload the TITLE.LBM file to it separately.

krasher134
05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Okay. I was able to upload the files by the method you said, but now I have a different problem. Actually, a somewhat stupid problem: what script do I need to place into that area in order to use the uploaded files in an applet format? I know that I can use "<applet></applet>" but I don't know how to reference the fillit files. The file manager says that the files are located in the main directory (e.g. http://--------------.tripod.com/Fillit.class) but the applet doesn't recognize the files and/or their locations.

-Matt

jscheuer1
05-21-2005, 10:46 PM
(e.g. http://xxxxx.tripod.com/fillit.class)ah, but the filename is Fillit.class so no, the program will not work. This goes back to where I said:
. . .the fact that capital letters are used in filenames (some servers prefer all lowercase names). For your sake let's hope it is not the case of the letters as changing them without changing them in the Applet's files will probably cause errors.If Tripod did not change the case of the filenames, you should be able to use the included Fillit.html file. Also, you need more than just Fillit.class from the archive, I hope you realized that.

krasher134
05-22-2005, 01:20 AM
IT WORKED!!!

Thanks so much.

-Matt