PDA

View Full Version : favicon.ico?

Shotgun Ninja
01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Okay. I think it's time someone addressed this issue, or at least unified it into a single post. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A "favicon" is the little image that appears next to the URL of a site in the browser bar of newer internet browsers. It also appears over the Bookmark image on a Firefox bookmark leading to a site. It is a relatively new technology, correct me if I'm wrong, so I am led to believe that it would merit some FAQ discussion. Here are some questions I have come across about favicons (not of my own, but they should still be addressed) :

- How are they used?
- Where would I put the favicon file on my site?
- Is there a piece of code I must use to implement a favicon?
- What is the maximum width/height?
- How can I create a .ico file?
- How can I convert an image file to .ico in (insert graphics program name here)?
- Does the file have to be named favicon.ico?
- Why is my previous attempt at making a favicon not working?
- Can anyone make me a favicon for a site generalizing in (insert genre here)? (On second thought, never mind that one)

If you would like to address these, or if you have other questions, please post them here.

BLiZZaRD
01-25-2008, 11:21 PM
this is common on this forum and has been covered a few times. but to answer your questions:

- How are they used? They aren't "used" per say, they are just displayed, like any other image on your page, only it is displayed in the address bar.
- Where would I put the favicon file on my site?you place them inside the root folder.
- Is there a piece of code I must use to implement a favicon?You don't *have* to, but it does help ensure it will be displayed. Use:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico">

- What is the maximum width/height?the defacto is 16px X 16px, anything other than square or 16x16 will be reduced to that.
- How can I create a .ico file? take any image resize to 16X16 and rename to favicon.ico. Alternatively you can use the favicon generator here at dynamic drive :)
- How can I convert an image file to .ico in (insert graphics program name here)?right click, choose rename, and rename it
- Does the file have to be named favicon.ico?yes
- Why is my previous attempt at making a favicon not working?Mythical space beings prevent your address bar from properly displaying a favicon. Seriously, could be a number of reasons. IE, for example can take up to 72 hours to show a favicon.
- Can anyone make me a favicon for a site generalizing in (insert genre here)? (On second thought, never mind that one)Never minding