PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-in Slideshow placement

catherineh
01-24-2008, 01:50 AM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: In IE6 for PC, my slideshow placement is off a bit so that it covers part of a graphic that's above it. It's in a separate table element so I'm not sure how it's happening. It's only on IE6 for PC... fine in all other browsers. And on refresh in IE6, the slideshow pops down into its proper position.

Any suggestions?

The site is www.wildlifeworld.com. There are different slideshows on almost every page, so lots of opportunity to see the issue in action.

Thank you.

jscheuer1
01-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Your page is in violation of Dynamic Drive's usage terms (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/notice.htm), which, among other things, state that the script credit must appear in the source code of the page(s) using the script. Please reinstate the notice first.

Now, I see that you are using v 1.5 of the script. This has been updated, see the demo page for version 1.51 of the script (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm) which will fade in Safari and Opera as well as in FF and IE.

None of this has to do with your problem though. I use IE 7, and things look OK in it. I have another machine with IE 6 on it, I will check in that and get back to you.

catherineh
01-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Any luck in IE6? That's the only place the problem existed.

Thanks.

jscheuer1
01-26-2008, 06:38 AM
I checked, and I did see the trouble once, but after that, no matter what I did - refresh the page, clear the cache and refresh, many times for each approach, I couldn't get it to do it again. With a problem that elusive, there is no way for me to tell on my end if it ever really is solved anyway.

So, what I would try is getting rid of the red bits:

<td valign="top">
<script type="text/javascript">
//new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, borderwidth, delay, pause (0=no, 1=yes), optionalRandomOrder)
new fadeshow(fadeimages, 280, 187, 0, 1500, 1, "R")
</script>
<br>&nbsp;
</td>

Aligning to top pushes it up, as does putting a line break and a nbsp character after it in the cell.

catherineh
01-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks John,

Removing that align=top in the table cell causes the slidesshow to drop down to the middle of the cell when the content in the right-hand cell is taller. Plus, that alignments shouldn't push the slideshow out of the table.

Any other thoughts? Thank you for your time. I do appreciate it.

jscheuer1
01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, you could try just getting rid of the:

<br>&nbsp;

part, that should have no effect on positioning within the cell if the align is already set to top. And make sure the height of the cell is at least the height of the slide show, perhaps about 20px more:

<td valign="top" style="height:207px;">
<script type="text/javascript">
//new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, borderwidth, delay, pause (0=no, 1=yes), optionalRandomOrder)
new fadeshow(fadeimages, 280, 187, 0, 1500, 1, "R")
</script>
</td>

The only logical reason that the content of the show can appear to be above the cell is that parts of it are positioned absolutely, and the cell's height is not set, if the content shows up after the cell is rendered, it must go somewhere. So if adding 20px to the height of the show for the height of the cell, as shown in my example doesn't 'get it' perhaps adding 30 or 40 will, or conversely, you might be fine with just the height of the show for the height of the cell, as long as you remember to get rid of that line break and the nbsp character, which will only add to the cell's height requirement.