PDA

View Full Version : How can i hide the menu bar above the IE(file,edit,view etch.)

ychard
05-18-2005, 10:17 PM
please help i want to disable the menu bar above the ie so that they cant save my site or view my source code,is there any script for that, thank you!! :)

ychard
05-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Pls help.....

cr3ative
05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
You can't easily, no. That's a browser control which should not be able to be changed by a website.

As discussed in these threads:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2184
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2316
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2072

There is no way to protect your source code if you put it online.
It's probably not so special that it needs protecting either, as Mike mentions in an earlier thread.

The only way you might be able to is by creating a new popup window with the menu bar hidden, using a script such as this:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/popwin.htm

cr3ative

mwinter
05-19-2005, 07:16 PM
The only way you might be able to is by creating a new popup window with the menu bar hidden, using a script such as this:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/popwin.htmWhilst a opening a new browser instance will work for non-tabbing browsers like IE, it's not a solution. Two keystrokes in IE will open the same document again with all of the chrome as usual.

Mike

jscheuer1
05-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Which two keystrokes?

mwinter
05-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Which two keystrokes?Ctrl+N, as I recall. It should be listed in one of the menus. Other user agents will have different sequences for the same function. Looking at Konqueror's Window menu, Ctrl+Shift+D duplicates the current tab.

Mike

sriramguru
05-04-2006, 09:42 AM
please help i want to disable the menu bar above the ie so that they cant save my site or view my source code,is there any script for that, thank you!! :)

I Want to disable the menu bar in Interner Explorer so that no one can view my coding as well as not to save my webpage!

jscheuer1
05-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I Want to disable the menu bar in Interner Explorer so that no one can view my coding as well as not to save my webpage!

Too bad. There should be a support group for you control freaks. This is not done by controlling the user's browser. Protecting content is what copyright law is for.

mwinter
05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Too bad. There should be a support group for you control freaks.LOL! And I thought I was the jaded and bitter one. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's contagious? Twey's showing signs, too. :D

Mike

Twey
05-04-2006, 05:26 PM
It's a bit like shingles: it comes from being around the original cause too long :p
Mine's probably not helped by my neighbour, who insists that her style of coding is better than mine, and that "unnecessary HTML" (I.E. anything that doesn't show a direct contribution to the page in IE, hahah) should be removed.

djr33
05-04-2006, 07:32 PM
As they say, you can't. Even if you could, you shouldn't.
It's like disabling right click... it's really annoying, and it's not compatible.

The people who will try to get around it will be able to, and it will just annoy the nice people.
Lose-lose.

jscheuer1
05-04-2006, 07:39 PM
LOL! And I thought I was the jaded and bitter one. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's contagious? Twey's showing signs, too. :D

Mike

LOL! I just did it to amuse myself, I'm glad someone else got a charge out of it. Perhaps if the people posting these questions would only read the entire thread that they are considering posting in first . . .

lihang
05-08-2006, 08:53 AM
It's just very sample,you can use this script to implement that effect:

window.open("YourPage", "","toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes,status=no,top=0,left=0")

you just need to write that in a javascript function

djr33
05-08-2006, 09:03 AM
That works, but only for popups... the original question was based on the main window.
It also doesn't, as was the original request, stop people from viewing source code, etc.

Not that it's your fault on either account... that's a close as it is to possible...

lihang
05-09-2006, 06:18 AM
I am sorry for that, I forgot the request "stop people from viewing source code"

may be this script will be better:

window.showModalDialog('Your Page',2,'dialogWidth=1024px;dialogHeight=768px');

But this is also miss the request 'based on the main window', I think if you can use a javascript to close the main window when pop this one, this problem will be solved perfectly.

jscheuer1
05-09-2006, 07:02 AM
I am sorry for that, I forgot the request "stop people from viewing source code"

may be this script will be better:

window.showModalDialog('Your Page',2,'dialogWidth=1024px;dialogHeight=768px');

But this is also miss the request 'based on the main window', I think if you can use a javascript to close the main window when pop this one, this problem will be solved perfectly.

Do that and only IE will work with your page. Even in it, there are ways to get the source (via the browser's cache if not hitting ctrl-N). So, you have shut out all users not using IE and still not protected anything.

Twey
05-09-2006, 09:30 AM
As is the case with all these "PROTECT YOUR SOURCE!" ideas. It's impossible. Accept it.

Jack
05-10-2006, 06:04 AM
I ran across a few sites that tried to do something like that and I always manage to by-pass it, and Iím no wiz. So I would have to agree that if your going to put something on the net you had better be willing to share it because one way or another someone is going to figure a way around your little secret.

HeheÖ It may take an hour or so but in the end someone is going to work around it.

2Cents!