PDA

View Full Version : Configure Images

Nickster
05-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi all.
I am completely new to all this so be patient with me. I can use FrontPage slide show, but I want something a litle better.

I have just been trying to put a 'Preload Image' code, from Dynamic Drive, on my site without success. I have two questions.
1) When it says configure the code to put images in. Does that mean the complete address? For example. The list of images I want to put on the page comes from...C/my documents/my pictures/my folder/football_Team001.jpg
Do I have to put all that in the space? I have tried, but no pictures come up.
2) When it says:- 'Finally, inside the BODY tag itself, add this event handler:
<body onLoad="StartSlideShow()">
Where exactly do I place it? Right next to where it says <body or anywhere after <body ?
I've tried several places, but the code still won't work.
I hope you can advise me.

Thanks in advance.
Nickster

jscheuer1
05-17-2005, 03:05 AM
C/my documents/my pictures/my folder/football_Team001.jpgis not a valid path in html or even on a computer. When designing a web page, the usual convention is to put images in a folder called 'images' just above the directory of the page. Simpler still (and often done) is to use the same directory as the page. For starters, I'd recommend that - Put your pictures in the same directory as your page, then all you need to use is the filename:

football_Team001.jpg

This business about the body tag - there should be only one body tag on a page. The idea is to make your body tag on your page include the information to start the script. So, let's say your current body tag looks like this:

<body>

Make it look like this:

<body onLoad="StartSlideShow()">

or if the body tag has other stuff in it already like this:

<body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

or any other stuff in there except another 'onload' statement, just add on to it like:

<body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onLoad="StartSlideShow()">

if there is another onload thing in there, like:

<body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onLoad="runThis()">

you have to add to it like this:

<body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onLoad="runThis();StartSlideShow()">

Nickster
05-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Hello John,
Thanks for the advise. I had loads of my images in the 'image' folder, but when I put them into the script, it still had the long address where it resides in the computer.
I know I sound dumb, but could you tell me how to put the images into the folder and only have a short name? I am assuming that they have to come from 'My Pictures' or some such folder.
I'll keep trying whilst I await your reply. You never know, I may get it right, but then again 'pigs could fly'
Thanks.

Nickster

jscheuer1
05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
I had loads of my images in the 'image' folder, but when I put them into the script, it still had the long address where it resides in the computer.Not sure what you mean by this, is Front Page changing the address (it is actually called a path in this case)? Where is this image folder, on your computer, or on the web? If the images folder is in the same folder as the page on your computer use this path:

images/football_Team001.jpg

What I am asking is, is there one folder that has the page in it and also has a folder in it called images? If not, get it that way as, that is what we are shooting for. Put your images in that images folder and you can use the above path.

It might help to know that it doesn't really matter where the images are so long as where they are and where you tell the page that they are is the same place.

Nickster
05-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Hello again John.
Right. Let me try to explain what I have.
On Front Page I have a 'folders list'. This includes a folder for images, a folder for photogallery, and then a list of the pages on the site. When I click on an image and check its properties, it tells me from where the image came from, and it is the address of where it resides on the computer:-
( c/my documents/my pictures/my web sites/my images/001.jpg )
I am thinking that as I have used FrontPage's system of displaying my images in the past, it has stopped me using some other script. I am also thinking that I may have to start all over again, from scratch and not use FrontPage for inserting images. Other than that, stay as I am until I can understand HTML and Javascript more.

Baffled from Brighton

Nickster

jscheuer1
05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Well, I am not all that familiar with FP, I used it a few times and didn't like it. I hear that it can be configured to let you dictate paths but, I am not sure how. Using a text editor to configure the paths is not such a bad idea. What I said before is the key:
It might help to know that it doesn't really matter where the images are so long as where they are and where you tell the page that they are is the same place.and,
c/my documents/my pictures/my web sites/my images/001.jpgis still not a valid path.
c:/my documents/my pictures/my web sites/my images/001.jpgis.

Nickster
05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your time, John.
I'll plod on. Perhaps I'll use a text editor. Either way, even at my age, I will prevail.
Regards. Nickster.