PDA

View Full Version : anylink drop down menu

jeffg
01-11-2008, 05:24 AM
1) Script Title: anylink drop down menu

2) Script URL (on DD): /www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm

3) Describe problem: the menu works great with the exception of the pages that I have a flash "simpleviewer" gallery installed.
You can view the site at www.graymatterimages.com, for what ever reason the hyperlinks in the drop down menus are not active. I'm a newbie at html and I would greatly appreciate any help with this situation.
Thanks
Jeff

ddadmin
01-11-2008, 05:38 AM
I tested out a few links in your drop down menus, and they seem to work fine for me in IE7 and FF2...

jeffg
01-12-2008, 02:01 AM
They work on the main page, did you try them in one of the simpleviewer gallery pages. That seems to be where the problem exists.
Thanks for the reply.
Jeff

jeffg
01-13-2008, 04:25 AM
By looking at the url of the page that is trying to come up, it appears that the link when activated calls for in addition to,the folder of the the current page instead of going directly to the folder that the link is written for. I am assuming that this is a dreamweaver thing. ex: page that is current www.graymatterimages.com/simpleviewernewwork/simpleviewer/newwork.htm then lets say that I want to go to "still life man made" the page that tries to come up is: www.graymatterimages.com/simpleviewernewwork/simpleviewer/simpleviewerstillmanmade/simpleviewer/stillmanmade.htm instead of www.graymatterimages.com/simpleviewerstillmanmade/simpleviewer/stillmanmade.htm

ruthc
01-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi,

Your path in the link is incorrect. I'm terrible on paths, but this is a relative path. OK, let's say you are on

simpleviewerarchcitynorthamerica/simpleviewer/archcitynorthamerica.htm

and you click on the link for the man made, because the link is

<a href="simpleviewerstillmanmade/simpleviewer/stillmanmade.htm">

the browser takes that link as relative to where you are now, not as relative to the root directory. So, the browesr says, I am at directory simpleviewerarchcitynorthamerica/simpleview/, that means that the full path from here to simpleviewerstillmanmade etc. is simpleviewerarchcitynorthamerica/simpleview/simpleviewersstillmanmade/simpleviewer/whateverPage.

So, you need to set the link so that it is relative to your root directory, or set an absolute link. Since you are in
http://root directory/northameric directory, simpleview directory, you would have to go back two directories to get to the root, and a relative link would be ../../simpleveiwersstillmanmade etc. [I think .... I hate paths, I just use full paths like below]

http://www.graymatterimages.com/simpleviewersstillmanmade/simpleviewer/whateverPage

Hope this helps.

Ruth

jeffg
01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks Ruth!
It's all working now...such a simple oversite.
Jeff

web-betty
02-16-2008, 05:27 PM
The path issue with this script is annoying ;-)

But the information above definitely helped. Thanks!