PDA

View Full Version : how do I turn my bg color to look like a gradient image?

rcw
01-10-2008, 06:10 PM
1) Script Title: gradient image

2) Script URL (on DD): http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/gradient/

3) Describe problem:

How do I turn my bg color to look like a gradient image? I want the background color of my rss scroller to be like a gradient color.

ddadmin
01-11-2008, 06:01 AM
It depends on the dimensions of the RSS scroller, but assuming it's long in width and shorter in height, you'd want to tile the gradient background image horizontally. Using global CSS, something like:

#rssdivid{
background: white url(gradient.jpg) top left repeat-x;
}

The gradient image is assumed to be a slim and tall image, for example, 5px width by 300px height.

rcw
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you looks simple enough and yes its wide and short. But do I have to remove any of the script that deals with the back ground from the original before I insert your suggestion?

ddadmin
01-11-2008, 01:22 PM
It depends on which script exactly you're talking about...

rcw
01-11-2008, 06:01 PM
the script that sets up the scroller box that comes with the demo.

*Example CSS for the two demo scrollers*/

#pscroller1{
width: auto;
height: 100px;
border: 1px solid black;
padding: 5px;
background-color:lightsteelblue;
}

.rssclass .rsstitle{
font-weight: bold;
}

.rssclass .rssdate{
color: black;
font-size: 85%;
}

.rssclass a{
text-decoration: none;
}

</style>

ddadmin
01-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Inside #pscroller1, you'd have something like:

#pscroller1{
}

rcw
01-15-2008, 10:44 PM
:confused:hmm..unfortunately all that gave me was a white background

thetestingsite
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Where it says gradient.jpg, it has to be an existing image. You can use the gradient image tool here on DD, or make your own using image creation software. To change the background color if there is no image, simply change the below code in red.

#pscroller1{
}

Hope this helps.

ddadmin
01-16-2008, 02:31 AM
To recap what thetestingsite is saying, make sure "gradient.jpg" is the correct path to your "gradient.jpg" image on your site. When in doubt, use an absolute URL, for example:

background: white url(http://www.mysite.com/gradient.jpg) top left repeat-x;

rcw
01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Yup I did all those things...made a gradient image using your tools, uploaded to my server, even used the full url to the gradient image I just uploaded but the background of the box was just white(blank).

I will try to make a new gradient image again but I looked at my file (gradient.jpg) and it looks fine.

I do have two scrollers on my page, maybe thats the prob? I only tried adding a gradient image for the first one.

Will try it again soon...

thetestingsite
01-16-2008, 06:10 PM
If all else fails:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

Hope this helps.

rcw
01-16-2008, 08:25 PM
have a look at the scrollers

www.respcareforum.com

thetestingsite
01-16-2008, 08:51 PM
When I go to http://www.respcareforum.com/gradient.jpg (which I pulled from the css in your source code), I get a 404 (file not found) error. This means that the file is not at the location you specified. If you upload your gradient.jpg file to the server and make sure that the name is the same, this should fix the problem.

Hope this helps.

rcw
01-16-2008, 09:12 PM
what an idiot I am. the file was there but it was named gradient.JPG instead of gradient.jpg (lower case). That did the trick but the gradient looks grainy????

thetestingsite
01-16-2008, 09:14 PM
You may want to use the png format. Usually, jpeg images make smaller file size but takes away from the quality. I usually use png for all my images just so that they don't lose their quality too much.

rcw
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I will remember that, but another thing I just tried and it worked was that I made the gradient image 1 pixel wide, instead of 5 pixels wide as it was before. The 1 px wide image looks way better....

Many thanks for your assistance :D