PDA

View Full Version : FireFox Lockup

jscheuer1
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of this and I am hoping someone has a solution. Ever since v1.0.2 and an XP update I received around the same time, FF has been locking up on me whenever I click on security from the tools menu. As a result I cannot adjust the cache or clear it. I am now on version 1.0.4 of FF and I removed 1.0.3 this time before upgrading. I also deleted the Mozilla FireFox directory that was left behind and removed the v1.0.3 key from my registry hoping this would help. No dice. Also, something was still left behind because the first time I ran v1.0.4 it still went to the homepage I had configured for the previous version, a different page from any I use as home in any other browser. I also run IE6 (my default) NS7.2 NN4.79 and IE4 (these last two rarely).

cr3ative
05-16-2005, 09:28 AM
I had a similar problem a while back - whenever a new FireFox window opened, the whole program wouldn't repaint for about ten seconds. It was being caused by an extension which wasn't compatible with the latest version.

Are you running any extensions?

cr3ative

jscheuer1
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Nope, not running any extensions. I was using Java 1.5.0_02 and have disabled that now in both FF and in the Java control panel settings, confirmed it is disabled by trying to view an applet, just a blank space appears. Still locks when I click on Privacy. All the other Tools...Options categories work fine. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking their might be a registry key I need to delete other than the version one to get a truly clean reinstall but, since I also run NS7.2 and it is fine, I am hesitant to go after just any ol' Mozilla keys. I am also tempted to try installing v1.0.1 as that was the last version I am certain had no problems of this nature.

cr3ative
05-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Try this:

http://www2.phpbb-host.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=578&mforum=googlebar&sid=c9239ce93dadd83d6f5076a94bd6cf37#578
As an uninstall procedure :)

cr3ative

jscheuer1
05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks cr3!

That was really more information than I needed but, it got me on to the applications data folder. After repeating my previous uninstall procedure and then deleting the folder 'Firefox' from my applications data's Mozilla folder, I got a clean install of the current version and although I lost all my previous customization (not much in this case, thankfully) the Privacy tool now works!