PDA

View Full Version : where to upload .js file for RSS Scroller

rcw
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
1) Script Title: Pausing RSS Scroller

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/index.htm

3) Describe problem: Where do I upload the .js file to my server. There isn't enough detail in the instructions. INto which folder do I put it? I want to encorporate the pausing scroller into my bulletin board forum.

Thanks

jscheuer1
01-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Number one, you realize this requires PHP, right?

To answer your question - the same folder as your page. If you are familiar with paths and their use in code, it really can go anywhere. However, In the archive, the demo page and the script are in the same folder. The lastrss files are in a folder called lastrss off of the folder that has the demo page and the script in it.

rcw
01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
well im using mybb and it has lots of .php files in it (if thats what you mean). I just don't know where in the server I should upload that file. theres lots of folders/files.

jscheuer1
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
To answer your question - the same folder as your page.

Got it?

rcw
01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
ill work on it

Many thanks for now...

jscheuer1
01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Huh? What folder is your page that uses the script in? That's the folder that the script goes in. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

rcw
01-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Almost there.......I've pasted the file demo.html into my index template under $headerinclude.
So do i open rsspausescroller.js in notepad and also upload this into the same spot?

jscheuer1
01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, there really is no reason to edit rsspausescroller.js unless you are not placing the lastrss files in the same folder in relation to your page as it is in the archive:

//URL to "scrollerbridge.php" on your server:
var bridgepath="lastrss/scrollerbridge.php"

Though it can also be edited for advanced formatting purposes, if you know what you are doing.

In any case, yes - if you are editing rsspausescroller.js, use NotePad.

The location to upload it to is the one that your page that uses it expects to find it. This is determined by the served source code of your page here:

<script type="text/javascript" src="rsspausescroller.js">

/***********************************************
* RSS Pausing Scroller- Dynamic Drive (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/ for source code and documentation
***********************************************/

</script>

If it looks like that, the rsspausescroller.js file goes in the same folder as your page.

You can see the served source code of your page by loading the live copy of it in the browser and using the 'view source' from the browser's View menu.

If there is any doubt as to the relative locations of any of the files, the absolute paths to the files may always be used.

rcw
01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
All I am getting on my page is "Documentation:Pausing RSS Scroller" ???

rcw
01-07-2008, 09:27 PM
WOooow OK I just put in the actual paths instead (since the other way didn't work ) and the scroller came up and started working. Now I have to edit it for my own rss feeds and style. THank you !!! for your help!!!