PDA

View Full Version : calling links from file

tjustleft
01-06-2008, 05:42 AM
1) Script Title: Vertical Glossy Menu

2) Script URL (on DD):http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/item/glossy-vertical-menu/

3) Describe problem: I am wondering if there is a way to call the links from a file. That way I don't have to edit an upload every page whenever I add links to my menu.
I hope this is the correct place to post. It says for help with a script but item 3 says describe problem. It isn't so much a problem as a nuisance. There may be an easy way to do what I am wanting but I am to new to know it.:)

http://alongtheway.110mb.com/

Thanks people.

euphoriastudio
01-06-2008, 06:08 AM
I personally use SSI. I create a file called nav.html and thats where my whole navigation menu goes. Then in every file I use this code

<!--#include virtual="nav.html" -->

To call up the menu. But to use SSI every file that you put that code in has to end in ".shtml" . It works great for me. Then I edit a single page when I need to add or remove my links. I know you can also do it with PHP, which I think is a more prefered method.

gregtampa
01-06-2008, 06:26 AM
i use a require in my php to include a navagation page

<?php
require("navagation.php");
?>

i just drop that code wher ei want a nav bar tobe and inside of navagation.php i just
have my nav bar code in it.

tjustleft
01-14-2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks.

I thought there had to be a way to do this.

tjustleft
01-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Thank you.

I thought about php but I have the free account on 110mb and I have to pay to use htaccess. If I get it then I can use it to call php files if not then I have to change all my pages from html to php.
I don't know a thing about php and not sure if I should make the change.

tjustleft
01-14-2008, 03:45 AM
If you don't have htaccess is ther a way to do this in html pages?
Still not sure about any ramifications of changing my pages from html to php or shtml.
I am still learning and most everything is new to me.:)

Thanks.

gregtampa
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
im not sure, but i think you can put my code that i posted inside of html, if the server is running php it should pick it up.. but, im pretty sure that the file name must be .php , worth a shot though.. if anything find another free host there are ton's that offer free php.