PDA

View Full Version : 2 simple questions :)

Haisook
05-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi all..

I remember once I came by a script that when you copy text off the website and paste it anywhere, the text is "Sorry. No Stealing" or something like that. Can anyone provide with something like that. Also I need the script that prevent ppl from viewing the SOURCE.

Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks

mwinter
05-13-2005, 11:49 PM
I remember once I came by a script that when you copy text off the website and paste it anywhere, the text is "Sorry. No Stealing" or something like that.That might work in IE where scripting has been enabled. It won't work with anything else.

Also I need the script that prevent ppl from viewing the SOURCE.That simply isn't possible. By its very nature, the Web shares information and you cannot prevent that. Besides, no-one's source code is actually worth stealing.

Any help would be appreciated...The only practical protection available is either to: never make your content available in the first place; make it undesirable, especially in the case of images or music (low quality, so it's not worth taking); or, through the enforcement of international law.

How many times does this sort of answer need to be repeated before people get it? :(

Mike

Haisook
05-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Mike,
The problem is that I have valuable articles on my website that I don't prefer for it to be stolen. That's why I asked about the ""TEXT"" thing.

mwinter
05-14-2005, 01:11 PM
The problem is that I have valuable articles on my website that I don't prefer for it to be stolen.It's a common concern, and I sympathise but that doesn't change the fact that there are no solutions worth considering. There is nothing you could try that would be unbreakable. In fact, the vast majority of methods are easily bypassed. Thinking that anything will protect your material from the people that will actually have an interest in stealing it is misguided and mistaken.

You must appreciate how the Web works. Once a client makes a request for a resource, that resource is transported, in its entirety, to that client machine. An identical copy now exists in a location beyond your control, and the user has numerous ways of interacting with the material (including saving into permanent storage).

Mike

Haisook
05-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Well, thanks Mike.

But could you at least supply me with the script I mentioned in the beginning?; the one that says "Copyright..etc" when pasting a text that was copied from my website.
I think it would be good for average users who want to steal :)

spyder
05-21-2005, 11:36 PM
this might help a little, it covers these topics

How do I block my document source?
How do I disable the right click?
How do I disable all clicks?
How do I disable the image toolbar?

http://lissaexplains.com/javascript6.shtml#documentb

mwinter
05-22-2005, 11:08 AM
this might help a little, it covers these topicsWith the usual unworkable solutions. Have you not read the numerous threads that all end with "This doesn't work"?

How do I block my document source?Impossible.

How do I disable the right click?Impossible in some circumstances. Easily removed whenever it does work.

How do I disable all clicks?Easily removed.

How do I disable the image toolbar?I couldn't care less as I don't use IE, but it wouldn't stop me taking images even if I did use it.

http://lissaexplains.com/javascript6.shtml#documentbPlease don't post links to sites which contain nonsense.

But could you at least supply me with the script I mentioned in the beginning?No, because I've never seen it. In any case, I'd question the value of directing you to it even if I had.

Mike