PDA

View Full Version : MySQL vs. Individual content pages!

The Smoking Gun!
01-05-2008, 01:17 AM
My question is, which is better from a search engine perspective, to show more viable content on web pages? For instance, if I have a site (well I do) that is for the purpose of looking up information on plants, where there are allot of attributes that will overlap, I have two choices, one is to create a page for each and every plant flower shrub and tree, with all the pertinent information for each, which of course as the pages are indexed, will show a high ratio of content on each page, as google likes content, or if I create a MySQL database that when a visitor fills in a query form to retrieve the required information, doesn't this reduce the needed pages and therefore quantity of viable content that gogglebot will find when indexing the pages in the site? Even though all the same information is actually somewhere on the site, so i guess I am asking if search engine crawlers actually crawl all the content stored in a MySQl database?

Thanks Again, yes i got a lot on my mind today :rolleyes:

TSG!

djr33
01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Crawlers will search through your links, and those on other pages.

A crawler crawls through each link on the pages it finds, so it will NOT search a database. However, it WILL search through the database, sorta, if you have links that have each of these plants listed.

So, if you have a link to ?type=conifers&plant=redwood, then that would be crawled. If not, then it wouldn't work like that.

I hope this helps.

The Smoking Gun!
01-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I do appreciate the response, although my objective is to provide an informational site that will be easy for visitors to find what they need to know, I also want to eventually get decent page rankings and high serp's so the potential for more visitors increases the ratio of people buying from my affiliate companies through the provided links on my site, although it is cluttered right now, this will change as pages are put together and there are more relevant pages to place the affiliate links, but for now they are there for pot luck curiosity seekers, and hopefully this get enough cookies set that in a month or so, when people are starting to shop for their yards, I'll get some funding to help support the effort.

So your response has helped for me to choose what direction to go for the plant information pages, Thanks!

TSG!