PDA

View Full Version : Really Need HELP On This One?

ofield
12-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm buying a new Desktop and I have the choice of Getting Xp Home,
XP Professional, or Vista Home Basic.

I have Windows Xp Home on my old Desktop and was wondering if
you could give me any Advice on which OS System to Choose. The
Specs of the Desktop are below.

I really Need Advice On this One, Thanks

GeForce 7300GS 256MB PCI-Express (1DVI / 1VGA) Card/

3GB DDR2 PC5400 Memory

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz 2M 800Mhz Processor

80GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive with a External 320GB Hard Drive

500 Watt Power Supply

Twey
12-31-2007, 09:12 AM
was wondering if
you could give me any Advice on which OS System to Choose.Choosing the right operating system system is always an important step in getting your new PC.

Personally, I recommend Fedora (http://www.fedoraproject.com/).

tech_support
12-31-2007, 09:23 AM

No more converting people to Linux Twey :p

XP Pro all the way!

Ryan Fitton
12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Get XP Pro have it on my laptop and desktop, i never wanted to get vista because it was so slow and is basically the same as xp

thetestingsite
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
XP Pro is a really good choice; I have it on all the computers at work and also at home. I recommend staying away from Vista, at least for the time being. It is a resource hog and doesn't have that much more "functionality" over XP pro/media center. In any case, I am also with Twey on using Fedora; but if this is just the factory OS that comes with the PC, I would choose XP Pro.

Hope this helps.

lainlives
12-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Choosing the right operating system system is always an important step in getting your new PC.

Personally, I recommend Fedora (http://www.fedoraproject.com/).

i agree with Twey

BLiZZaRD
12-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Fedora 7 is the best! YAY! No more "Core" just the straight up hat! WOOT!

Fedora 8 looks impressive too though!

ofield
01-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Ok Everybody,

First of all Thanks for all the Help. This is the Configuration
I decided on:

XP PRO

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz 2M 800Mhz Processor

3GB DDR2 PC5400 Memory

160GB 7200 RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive

320GB 7200 RPM Usb External Hard Drive

20X Lightscribe DVDRW Dual Layer Drive

I Already Own a External Single Layer DVDRW Drive

GeForce 7300GS 256MB PCI-Express (1DVI/1VGA)

Is there Anything I Missed? Thanks again for all the Help...

Ryan Fitton
01-01-2008, 06:59 PM
monitor?

BLiZZaRD
01-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Extra 160 HDD with Fedora 7 installed and grub boot loader for dual booting the systems?

Thanatos Erabus
01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
well i would go for vista its got alot of cool things ppl dont really realize.
my favorite is that if you put in a flash drive it can use it as ram. i love that feature personally. ive got 4 gigs in plus my 8 gig flash.....its amazing. not to mention my 250 gig external hard drive(about 200 bucks) and my internal hard drive.
also it is capable of running 64 bit programs which in a few years will probably cause you to switch over to it any way. it can also run 32 bit programs so its just awesome.

well what im saying is if you are looking for versatility and compatability you should get the vista. its just great technoloy.
on the other hand its new and still has its quirks but they constantly up date it so you would be okay.

Twey
01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
my favorite is that if you put in a flash drive it can use it as ram. i love that feature personally. ive got 4 gigs in plus my 8 gig flash.....its amazing.Hm, you probably just about meet the minimum specs then :p Other OSes (Linux at least) have been able to do this for years, but it's not common practice because the constant writes will wear out a flash drive incredibly fast.
not to mention my 250 gig external hard drive(about 200 bucks) and my internal hard drive. Not entirely sure what that's got to do with RAM, but... that's nice?
also it is capable of running 64 bit programs which in a few years will probably cause you to switch over to it any way.So can Linux, BSD, and XP 64-bit.
it can also run 32 bit programs so its just awesome.So can anything. All the 64-bit CPUs have 32-bit emulation built in.
well what im saying is if you are looking for versatility and compatability you should get the vista. its just great technoloy.
on the other hand its new and still has its quirks but they constantly up date it so you would be okay.Quirks like resetting the entire graphics subsystem every time the input surges a little, or using half your CPU power on internal encryption and decryption (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)? Oh, and no, they're not just going to update that away, because it's a feature, not a bug, and they've "standardised" it.

tech_support
01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
my favorite is that if you put in a flash drive it can use it as ram.
You could do that on XP. Just put a page file on your flash drive.
So can anything. All the 64-bit CPUs have 32-bit emulation built in.Which is so memory-intensive. And annoying.
Quirks like resetting the entire graphics subsystem every time the input surges a little, or using half your CPU power on internal encryption and decryption (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)? Oh, and no, they're not just going to update that away, because it's a feature, not a bug, and they've "standardised" it.That only affects pirate DVDs. Stick with the law, and you'll get benefits.

Twey
01-05-2008, 04:30 AM
You could do that on XP. Just put a page file on your flash drive.I had a feeling that XP was limited to creating page files on the drive where the OS was installed. You're probably right though.
Which is so memory-intensive. And annoying.What? There's not much additional memory overhead at all. It does require loading 32-bit libraries if you're running a 64-bit OS, so I suppose it uses a little extra memory, but it's not all that significant.
That only affects pirate DVDs. Stick with the law, and you'll get benefits.I'm not sure if you're joking or you just didn't read the article or that part of my post. If the input fluctuates a bit (or myriad other common irregularities that a computer normally just takes in its stride), Vista requires that the entire graphics subsystem be reset in case you're trying to do something fishy with the graphics card. All video content is encrypted between hardware devices and software, then decrypted again at the other end. This affects everyone. There are a plethora of other issues like this, too. Read the article.

tech_support
01-06-2008, 02:40 AM
I had a feeling that XP was limited to creating page files on the drive where the OS was installed.
Wha? It can create page files on any drive.

What? There's not much additional memory overhead at all. It does require loading 32-bit libraries if you're running a 64-bit OS, so I suppose it uses a little extra memory, but it's not all that significant.
I ran a 32 bit application under a 64 bit OS once. The emulation took up about 200MB of memory, but the program itself only took up 30.

If the input fluctuates a bit (or myriad other common irregularities that a computer normally just takes in its stride), Vista requires that the entire graphics subsystem be reset in case you're trying to do something fishy with the graphics card. All video content is encrypted between hardware devices and software, then decrypted again at the other end. This affects everyone. There are a plethora of other issues like this, too. Read the article.
Well, you might be. So the average user on an average brand name computer would be affected by this?

Imagine if there were no copy protection, and you and I were trying to make a movie. You'd want everyone to buy a copy, no? I surely would.
And then... some person... decides to upload it to the internet. There are no copy protections on our video. Everyone downloads it. How much profit do we make from the DVD/HD-DVD/Blue-Ray? Nothing. Zilch. Not a cent. All your money, time, and effort put in our movie is gone.

Would you be one happy person? I wouldn't.

I really hate it when people (particuarly Linux fans) criticise and put-down Vista for no real particular reason. There will ALWAYS be problems with ANY operating system. Like Linux would be no different from these sorts of errors? Soon, a court order will force Linux to implement a similar system.

euphoriastudio
01-06-2008, 02:49 AM
I personally prefer xp pro. if you really like the "layout" of vista you can always go here:
http://www.crystalxp.net/
and
http://rocketdock.com/

they provide themes for xp so it looks like vista. pretty neat!

Twey
01-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I ran a 32 bit application under a 64 bit OS once. The emulation took up about 200MB of memory, but the program itself only took up 30.Interesting. That's not the case on Linux at least (I have several 32-bit programs that I use regularly, and the overhead is minimal).
Well, you might be. So the average user on an average brand name computer would be affected by this?Yes. Read the article, and some of the links to user complaints at the end.
Imagine if there were no copy protection, and you and I were trying to make a movie. You'd want everyone to buy a copy, no? I surely would.
And then... some person... decides to upload it to the internet. There are no copy protections on our video. Everyone downloads it. How much profit do we make from the DVD/HD-DVD/Blue-Ray? Nothing. Zilch. Not a cent. All your money, time, and effort put in our movie is gone.DRM does little or nothing to help counter this problem, but does introduce a whole set of problems for the user. Like I said, read the article. It's the same principle as "Javascript encryption" and trying to hide the source of a web page. Also, this is what copyright law is for.
I really hate it when people (particuarly Linux fans) criticise and put-down Vista for no real particular reason."No particular reason?" It's so bad that no-one's buying it and Microsoft have extended support for XP. The grand opening was a grand flop.
There will ALWAYS be problems with ANY operating system.Of course there will. All systems have bugs. The problem with Vista is that some of the features are as bad as the bugs, and features never get fixed (although admittedly given some of those security issues on Secunia with fix dates set at NEVER, even the bugs don't always get fixed where Microsoft is concerned).
Soon, a court order will force Linux to implement a similar system.It won't, and can't. "Linux" is not a legal entity. "Linux" is just a chunk of code floating about the internet. There's no single corporation that the record companies can attempt to strong-arm into adding their patently ridiculous copy protection, and if someone did do so, in order to be compatible with the GPL it would have to be open-source. Guess how long it would take someone to break open-source DRM? (hint: it's measured in minutes)

boxxertrumps
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm putting my money on seconds.

An OS is just a tool. If your hammer starts telling you what nails you can hit, there's a problem, isn't there?

There's also no reason to not dualboot. I use Fedora 8 and XP pro on my comp... (Can't live without WoW, and under wine i get 4fps...)

BLiZZaRD
01-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Can't live without WoW

That is a sad, sad statement my friend.

sorry, back on topic...

tech_support
01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Yes. Read the article, and some of the links to user complaints at the end.
That's just some users, out of the probably 10's of thousands of users who have used Vista.

DRM does little or nothing to help counter this problem, but does introduce a whole set of problems for the user.
So you're just saying "give up?"

Also, this is what copyright law is for.
Laws? Pfft. How many people got arrested for P2P distribution? One. Only one person. (Who is in the US)
Copyright laws do nothing except scare the user, and it's clearly not working here. What do I do when I see the "piracy is stealing" ads? I skip 'em.

"No particular reason?" It's so bad that no-one's buying it and Microsoft have extended support for XP. The grand opening was a grand flop.
Are you sure about this? I saw thousands of people queuing up at my local electronics store...

The problem with Vista is that some of the features are as bad as the bugs
How is that so?

It won't, and can't. "Linux" is not a legal entity. "Linux" is just a chunk of code floating about the internet.
Companies sponsor the linux distributions. What if they (the lawyers) threaten the companies?

Guess how long it would take someone to break open-source DRM? (hint: it's measured in minutes)
I'll admit that DRM isn't the best option, but it's just to slow, not stop, the person trying to distribute movies freely on the internet.

Can't live without WoWThat is a sad, sad statement my friend.
Hahahahaha :D 80% of the kids at my school can't live without it either. It's an addictive game.

Twey
01-08-2008, 12:32 PM
That's just some users, out of the probably 10's of thousands of users who have used Vista.True. Most of those probably don't try to play high-definition content (it's not that wide-spread yet), don't report the problem, or aren't technically competent enough to understand that it is a problem -- computers just decide to run slowly sometimes, don't they?
So you're just saying "give up?"Heck yes. It's a problem that can't be solved by technical means. As you said, if the aim is just to slow down piracy then it may work somewhat (read: very slightly, see below), but is it really worth the billions of dollars, the inconvenience to users, and all the vendor lock-in (see iTunes) that results?
Laws? Pfft. How many people got arrested for P2P distribution? One. Only one person. (Who is in the US)What? Nobody gets arrested for breach of copyright law because it's a civil suit, not criminal. Many many people (14,800 at the time of writing of this article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/04/riaa_sued/) [two years ago]) have been sued over it, rightly or not.
What do I do when I see the "piracy is stealing" ads? I skip 'em.A fine example of how utterly futile a task it is to try to prevent users doing what they want -- those ads are designed to be unskippable, at least on British DVDs.
Are you sure about this? I saw thousands of people queuing up at my local electronics store...I can't speak for your local electronics store, but overall sales were very low.
How is that so?You still haven't read that article, have you?
Companies sponsor the linux distributions. What if they (the lawyers) threaten the companies?The companies will laugh in their faces: nothing they're doing is currently illegal, anywhere. If a new law were introduced and the companies were forced to stop sponsoring Linux distributions (there's no way you're going to get DRM to be compatible with the GPL without making it open-source, so including it isn't an option) Linux will continue to develop by community, if at a slightly slower pace. Sponsors are nice, but very far from vital for open-source software. Also, I doubt very much that such a law could be passed.
I'll admit that DRM isn't the best option, but it's just to slow, not stop, the person trying to distribute movies freely on the internet.There's a chain of technical competence in action in piracy. It takes only one person skilled enough to break the DRM to release a program to do so, a bunch of distributors skilled enough to use said program (think Windows power users), and everyone else can just download the cracked goods. The former is slowed a little by DRM, but after that the chain moves along as if nothing had happened.
80% of the kids at my school can't live without it either. It's an addictive game.It's like cocaine for computer users :( Did you hear about the guy who died after playing computer games for something like three days solid?

boogyman
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM

XP Pro all the way!

no way Vista is SOOOOOO Much better... haha... wait... D'Ohhhhh
If you are choosing to go with a Microsoft based OS, I would agree with TechSupport and use XP Pro

No more converting people to Linux Twey

Yah Twey... Linux is only a tool for hackers and those spam bots.... :p

Can't live without WoW

That is a sad, sad statement my friend.
Hahahahaha 80% of the kids at my school can't live without it either. It's an addictive game

theres a difference between "cant" and dont want to... the word 'addiction' should probably be replaced by 'obsessive', but yes your point has been made. there are very few things that a person cannot live without... those being shelter, food, water. and when I say shelter I do not mean a house or an apartment or even a trailer... I am talking about even a card board box could be considered shelter, or a piece of clothing. "Shelter" is a very relative term depending on geography.

So with that said... everything else that you have in life is a luxury, which most americans seem fit to pretend its rather a necessity... it goes back to the topic a while ago about "I NEED HELP NOW"... no you do not need help now, you WANT help now... :) oh wait... what's the title on this thread?

boxxertrumps
01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
It's like cocaine for computer users :( Did you hear about the guy who died after playing computer games for something like three days solid?
Every Tuesday morning the servers are down for maintenance.
I'm cold...

I do take the time to eat, sleep and go to school, so i wouldn't be worried.

BLiZZaRD
01-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Laws? Pfft. How many people got arrested for P2P distribution? One. Only one person. (Who is in the US)

Actually that one was the one convicted. She was ordered to pay 22 thousand (USD) for the copyright infringement and illegal downloading.

The catch is she is the FIRST. The RIAA has a list of over 20 thousand names, she was the first of those to go to court. The RIAA won their first, and I doubt it will be their last.

theres a difference between "cant" and dont want to...

Yes, I know, and I use the term loosely as well. There are things I can't live without (so to speak) but WoW (or any game - except my website of course :p) should not be on that list.

I have seen that game break up marriages. That's just wrong.

tech_support
01-09-2008, 09:18 AM
computers just decide to run slowly sometimes, don't they?
Yeah, I hate it when that happens. :p

Heck yes. It's a problem that can't be solved by technical means. As you said, if the aim is just to slow down piracy then it may work somewhat (read: very slightly, see below), but is it really worth the billions of dollars, the inconvenience to users, and all the vendor lock-in (see iTunes) that results?
It can, and they're trying really hard to. Does the big companies care about the user's inconveniences? Nah... Maybe too a certain extent. It's the harsh world of businesses. Money vs. The People.

What? Nobody gets arrested for breach of copyright law because it's a civil suit, not criminal.
It's a "criminal act" according to the piracy ads.

You still haven't read that article, have you?
I've read that article before, I think it was on your last Vista rant. :p

Sponsors are nice, but very far from vital for open-source software.
How about the money? Costs? Expenses?

It's like cocaine for computer users :( Did you hear about the guy who died after playing computer games for something like three days solid?
:eek: Ouch. To the kids in this forum, including myself, get outside and play. I ran in the sand a couple of days ago. That was nice. And refreshing.

Twey
01-09-2008, 10:16 AM
It canIt can't. I've just explained why. You can't give someone encrypted content and the key to that content and expect it to remain unbroken. It's the same issue as attempting to hide HTML source.
Does the big companies care about the user's inconveniences? Nah... Maybe too a certain extent. It's the harsh world of businesses. Money vs. The People.And you agree with this?
It's a "criminal act" according to the piracy ads.IANAL, then, but many people have been sued over the matter (although it was by the RIAA, not the artists, so I doubt the artists got much compensation).
How about the money? Costs? Expenses?Rich people do it for a hobby too. Like I said, a lack of sponsors might slow down development a bit, but it would carry on. All academic, of course, because the chances of such a law being accepted is practically nil.

tech_support
01-09-2008, 11:11 AM
And you agree with this?
Oh, not at all. I'm just telling what I'm seeing.

Twey
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
But you were saying it wasn't a bad thing that Vista supported DRM.

tech_support
01-10-2008, 01:18 AM
It isn't. Most (non *nix-based) OSes do ship with it, like Apple OSX. And what's that got to do with bad business practices? :confused:

Replaced Linux to *nix.

boxxertrumps
01-10-2008, 02:19 AM
It can, and they're trying really hard to. Does the big companies care about the user's inconveniences? Nah... Maybe too a certain extent. It's the harsh world of businesses. Money vs. The People.Doesn't mean it's right, only that those are bad people.

It's a "criminal act" according to the piracy ads.I agree, advertisements are 100% correct 100% of the time.

How about the money? Costs? Expenses?Many universities offer server space to mirror OSS projects.

:eek: Ouch. To the kids in this forum, including myself, get outside and play.What's this "outside" you talk of?

It isn't. Most (non Linux-based) OSes do ship with it [DRM], like Apple OSX.
Most non linux based OSs do not... I'll list a few off the top of my head...

Windows, pre-vista
Unix/Minix
BSD
Solaris
Amiga
BeOS
NeXTSTEP

tech_support
01-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Doesn't mean it's right, only that those are bad people.
I never said it was:

And you agree with this?
Oh, not at all. I'm just telling what I'm seeing.

Many universities offer server space to mirror OSS projects.
Probably with very small bandwidth.

What's this "outside" you talk of?
Haha. Like y'know, the road in between your house and the computer shop. If you see grass, I think you're outside... or looking out your window.

Most non linux based OSs do not...
Er, I corrected myself. *nix OSes.

Windows, pre-vista
Windows XP does DRM stuff. Well, on Windows Media Player 11.

Twey
01-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Most (non *nix-based) OSes do ship with it, like Apple OSX.OSX is in fact UNIX-based: it's built on a Darwin BSD system. Nevertheless, you probably found the only other example of a DRM-supportive OS that exists :) Admittedly the number of non-Windows non-UNIX OSes are quite small today.
And what's that got to do with bad business practices?I was explaining that DRM caused extreme amounts of inconvenience and difficulty to users, and you agreed that this was a bad thing that shouldn't be done. Yet you're still in favour of DRM?
Probably with very small bandwidth.No, universities usually have huge data pipes provided by their government.
Windows XP does DRM stuff. Well, on Windows Media Player 11.No, Windows Media Player does DRM stuff. There's a difference.

tech_support
01-11-2008, 04:13 AM
I was explaining that DRM caused extreme amounts of inconvenience and difficulty to users, and you agreed that this was a bad thing that shouldn't be done. Yet you're still in favour of DRM?I'm not in favour of it. I'm just wanting to offer a non-biased opinion.

No, universities usually have huge data pipes provided by their government.
...and they have to distribute it equally among the students.

No, Windows Media Player does DRM stuff. There's a difference.
Yeah, but most people use WMP to watch DVDs. It's like IE... I guess.