PDA

View Full Version : kaspersky installation troubles

fux96
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
i tried to install kaspersky internet security 2007. setup wizard said there is still some anti virus software installed, i should remove that first. it says Mc Afee Bonus Pack is there. i never had Mc Afee, :rolleyes: anyway, i checked and rechecked a few times, found some old symantec files, had regcleaner running, which also found some old keys, restarted a few times and had it run again to make sure... now i am absolutely sure there is NO McAfee Bonus Pack, :D but still the installation terminates with this message. :confused: Can't i skip that? For a temporary solution i installed NOD32 without troubles, but i d like to try Kaspersky... do I have a chance?

BLiZZaRD
12-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Start>> Search >> search for "McAfee" (no quotes) and check the "look in hidden files and folders"

let the search run the entire HDD and see what comes up.

fux96
12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
i did that, even with only MC or MCA to be sure that the file is not strangely named, but NOTHING..
i had the registry searched, manually and automatically, nothing...

BLiZZaRD
12-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Found it..

Open regedit and delete this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSC

:) Should do the trick.

fux96
12-30-2007, 04:13 PM
thanks, will do so... MCS.. MCafee Security or waht should that mean? anyway... will let u know if it worked... thanks

Ryan Fitton
12-30-2007, 04:32 PM
there might have been a trial edition of McAffe on your pc when you bought it

BLiZZaRD
12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Not sure what MSC stands for exactly, just know that's what they publish the security suite under.

fux96
12-30-2007, 04:57 PM
searched with regedit and regseeker, MSC file is not there...
there is something in HOT_KEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES which is a folder called .msc but i guess thats not what i am supposed to delete...
and when i bought laptop, it was not McAfee but Etrust that was preinstalled. as far as i know my laptop has never seen McAfee... can it be a problem of faulty kaspersky software?

BLiZZaRD
12-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, something from McAfee is there. It is a bothersome problem with Kaspersky 6.0.1(.411)

The other option is to get CCleaner (http://ccleaner.com) and run it's registry cleaner to see if there are remnants around. CCLeaner is the best I have come across.

Or see if you can get an older version of kaspersky to install and update through that way to 6.0.1

fux96
12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
tried kaspersky pro 5.0... it would install without minding this McAfee Bonus Pack, but i wanted the other.. internet security 2007 as it provides also antispyware etc in one pack which 5.0 doesnt offer... and my 5.0 is not an original whereas i had bought the kaspersky internet security 2007....

why is McAfee doing such strange things which no one can find later? :mad: i have gone through other forums with same troubles and no real solution.. the funniest is: take your computer to a shop and have them straighten it out... haha

a day ago i found something how to skip this step... i didnt follow it as i thought i might find something easier :o - it included changing some initial files to tell the installation wizard to skip the step of checking other antivirus software on the PC and sounded rather complicated... anyway, it was in a kaspersky forum, but now this page is not opening again.. as matter of fact, maybe kaspersky has a prob today as none of their pages are opening... its supposed to be here i believe
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279498

anyone knows how to do that?

BLiZZaRD
12-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I loaded it just fine:

How to skip scan for incompatible Software when installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\ Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0
ID Article: 1488 Other languages: Deutsch Russian Views for 7 days 100 Last modified on 04.12.2007 15:15 Printable version

Concerning to:
# Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 (all builds)
# Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 (all builds)

A new option has been added to Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 \Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0; this option allows skipping scan for incompatible software during the product installation.

WarningThis option is recommended ONLY if the user is absolutely sure that the third-party software was deleted but is still detected by the Setup Wizard of Kaspersky Anti-Virus version 7.0. Otherwise after the program installation the operating system may start malfunctioning and even crash.

In order to start Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 and skip scan for incompatible software, do the following:

* download the distributive of the latest version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\ Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 from the link http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates and save it on your PC.
* run the product installation
* in the Setup Wizard window click Cancel

* make sure the following folder appeared on the local disc C:\:
o for Windows 2000\XP:
+ if Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 was installed the folder \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.xxx\English with the embedded files setup.exe and kav.en.msi appears on the local disk
+ if Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 was installed the folder \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0.xxx\English with the embedded files setup.exe and kis.en.msi appears on the local disk
o for Windows Vista:
+ if Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 was installed the folder \ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.x.xxx\Eglish with the embedded files setup.exe and kav.en.msi appears on the local disk
+ if Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 was installed the folder \ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0.x.xxx\English with the embedded files setup.exe and kis.en.msi appears on the local disk
* go to Start > Run

* enter CMD and click OK

* enter <full path and file name> /pSKIPPRODUCTCHECK=1. For example, if you install Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 under Windows XP in this case the command line should be the following C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.xxx\English\setup.exe /pSKIPPRODUCTCHECK=1. Click Enter to run the Setup Wizard.

fux96
12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks a lot.. great.. no idea why i cant load it...
ur help is really great

BLiZZaRD
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Could be your router issue ;)

Glad I could help :)

fux96
12-30-2007, 07:23 PM
no not the router, am on the other PC, laptop standing next to me just to check that thing... but it was working properly for a while now and now it stopped again but now cant access router interface anymore... that was always the last page that would open if nothing else worked... think i should go to sleep (its 1:15 here in pakistan) and see what happens tomorrow... thanks a lot

BLiZZaRD
12-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Sleep usually helps :)