PDA

View Full Version : Can the cursor be changed - HV Menu?

kittentaboo
12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
1) Script Title: HV Menu 5.5

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm

3) Describe problem:

Does anyone know if you can change the cursor type on the HV Menu? I'd like the cursor to be a pointer instead of the arrow. Maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks in advance.

jscheuer1
12-26-2007, 07:42 PM
The support for that is horrible in this menu. You can get the entire menu to use the pointer (looks like a hand with a finger pointing on most systems) cursor by opening up the menu_com.js file with a text only editor. Search for:

cursor

You will find this line (the only one with that word in it):

this.style.cursor=ExpYes&&(this.LinkTxt||(RcrsLvl==1&&UnfoldsOnClick))?'hand':'default';

Change it to:

this.style.cursor=ExpYes&&(this.LinkTxt||(RcrsLvl==1&&UnfoldsOnClick))?'pointer':'pointer';

Hit save, and "Bob's your Uncle!"

Unfortunately, the tortured logic with which this menu was written as regards the cursor style used is so outdated that differentiating between linked/unlinked expandable/not expandable items would require a lot of guessing, inspecting, and testing in various browsers.

Just making the change above, will cause problems for IE version 4 browsers which, thankfully nobody uses anymore.

kittentaboo
12-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Ooh, I just realized the cursor is showing up as a pointer on Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox, which is what I was using to code... Guess I should have checked on both browsers before asking!

Thanks for your help though. Most of the target audience will be using PCs and Internet Explorer, so I think I'll be okay not futzing with the code anymore... :D

jscheuer1
12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
It will be fine for IE 5.5 and up. No one is using the version 4 browsers anymore.