PDA

View Full Version : images slower in IE than Firefox?

Jason
05-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Hello I finally have my home page up and running. I am using a mouseover affect so as each button is highlighted there are two picture that change to appropriate pictures for that button. I have noticed when I view this page using IE, as I move my mouse over each button it takes a second for the pictures to change. Its only a small amount of lag but it is very noticable, one loads then the other. But in fire fox viewing the same page, each image loadeds instantly when the mouseover occures. Any thoughts on this or anyway I could possibly get IE to load the pictures as fast as Firefox?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

jscheuer1
05-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Aren't you the guy I rewrote a script for, twice, recently? If so, I wrote it to preload the images so, this should not be a problem unless, they are so large it takes awhile to preload them. In any case let's have the link to the site, only way to diagnose something like that.

Jason
05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Here is the link edited out And yes it was me whom you helped earlier. :) The script you provided works great. I took out two lines in the script which caused the picture to change back to the orignal two when the mouse over was finished. But it works good still. Its just the pictures lag alittle when I do a mouseover in IE. Firefox its supperfast. Instantly. I am probly being to picky eh? Nine pictures are below 30kb one is approx 100 kb.

jscheuer1
05-10-2005, 04:56 PM
So, let me guess, you prefer FF and use it as your default browser, right so far? Guess #2 - as a result you decided, at some point, not to allow IE to cache or set the IE cache to a small amount of disk space, still good? Anyways, I experienced no such lag using IE. As a test though, I cleared my cache. Once I did that, there was a lag until the pictures were cached again. I have a cable modem w/high speed access so, this took one run through of the buttons or, better still, as this preloaded the images again, one reload of the page but, if my cache had been set to a small size or disabled, this lag would have persisted. So, what size, if any, is your cache in IE? Bottom line - shouldn't be a problem for IE users with a 'typical' install that uses a fairly large cache.

Jason
05-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Ok I understand now thanks for your help.. again :D