PDA

View Full Version : Flying Message not showing on top

WilliamT
12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
1) Script Title: Flying Message script II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex10/flymessage.htm

3) Describe problem: Script works fine EXCEPT that the message is displayed behind other content on my page instead of on top as in the sample on DD.
Is there something I can do to force on top?

See my page at http://www.galtechmodels.com/mainsite/index.html then select menu item HOME then DiscountClub (for some reason the direct link does not work??)

Thanks,
Bill

P.S. WebStudio is used to create the web site

ddadmin
12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Certain objects like SELECT menus or Flash objects will always display themselves as the topmost elements on the page due to a bug in IE6. In Firefox and IE7, this should be fixed though. Is that what you're seeing as well?

WilliamT
12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the response.
I am using IE7.
The DD page has a flying message that works fine.
I am trying to fly my message over text but it goes behind it and just shows where I have my white page background.
Can't test in Firefox because the DynamicDrive script seems to be specifically testing for IE because the guts of the the script is enclosed in <!--[if IE]> ...... <![endif]-->

Bill

WilliamT
12-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Hi "ddadmin"

Can you suggest anything else, please?

Seems strange to me that the DynamicDrive sample works fine (in IE7) but my usage has my Flying Message running behind a text box on my page and only showing the parts of the Flying Message not hidden by the text or any other item on the page.

My particular page, that I am trying to use for a Flying Message, is very simple and the HTML code was 'written' by the Web Studio software that I use for creating web sites. The only code additional to the generated HTML (except for the DD script stuff) is a couple of lines that appear before the HTML starts, to load a header image and INCLUDE a menu script.

Thanks,
Bill

WilliamT
12-20-2007, 07:58 PM
For your information, I found a solution from one of the very helpful people on the Web Studio Forum.
They advised to include a z-index:990 clause in the DIV statement located in the HEAD of the page as follows:

<div id="externalmessage" style="position:absolute; width: 300px; height: 250px; z-index:990" onMouseover="pausemessage()" onMouseout="resumemessage()" src="message2.htm"></div>

Works a treat!

Thanks,
Bill