PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Question ?

ofield
12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi, this is my first post. I have just recieved a Iomega 7200rpm 320Gb External Hard Drive. My question is should I install my new programs on it or on my internal 80Gb drive?

Also how do I back up my system to my external drive in case my internal malfunctions or crashes, etc. My external drive did not come with any software.

Any Help Would be Great......

djr33
12-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Do what you want with your hard drive setup; however, I'd say that since it is removable, you'd be better off having the programs on the more reliable internal drive. It's also a good idea to separate your media files and program files (e.g., pictures and photoshop, or video files and video editing programs) and system files [with the programs].

To backup, you could copy files, or copy a disc image. However, it may be tough as they might try to stop you from backing up all of the windows files. Some disc utility software should help.

MyRedz
12-31-2007, 03:35 PM
well both are possible ...just use portable ones ....or wanna safe bet install it first time on your hard disk

Mozie
09-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Can I just confirm that programs can be installed on an external HD? It's not just a storage device for docs, pics etc. (Having a disagreement with a colleague, so would appreciate it if someone could clear it up :D)

Thanks

djr33
09-29-2008, 09:16 AM
You can install anything, I believe, on an external hard drive. However, some installers will not allow it (requiring the installation be to the system drive), and also, some programs require storing registry entries, user-based temp folders, etc., which means that while the majority of the files are on your portable drive (thus saving space), it won't work without the other files, so it won't really be portable.
There are some workarounds that allow many programs to work from a portable drive, so you can use it in different locations, but I do believe that this requires, in many cases, a reworking of the installer which may be against the TOS for the software.
In short, anything that just installs files to a specific location and nothing else will work from a portable drive. Anything that has licenses, registry entries and other system-changing additions will probably not, without some modification. However, there may be workarounds (and exceptions).

Rockonmetal
09-30-2008, 12:16 AM
if you didn't already know: when you go to back up your music don't just drag the itunes shortcut... you have to copy the entire My Music Folder onto the drive. That way
all your music will be there...