PDA

View Full Version : Virus called "Invitation" notification

fileserverdirect
12-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Hello,
Just to comfirm, I DO NOT HAVE THIS VIRUS, so don't tell me how to fix it.
---------
I recently got an email notifying me about A virus. It told me to tell everyone I know or don't (Dynamic Drive Viewers). This virus supposedly deletes everything on your hard drive (even your operating system!) and deletes the "zero sector" part of your hard drive (what does that mean?). Microsoft claims that this is the worst virus it ever had to deal with. It will come to you in an email with an attachment called "Invitation" from one of your contacts. DO NOT OPEN IT!!! 3 seconds after you click on it, your computer blue-screens because key operating system files get deleted first. How to stop: UNPLUG IT, RELEASE THE BATTERY, THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW!!!!!!(not recommended) It will not shut down untill all of your windows are closed which won't be very quick, and will most liklely be too late. Once you restart, your computer will A) nothing will happen:( B) it will start up like normal, and once your in delete the email, but don't accendentally open it(Outlook and Outlook Express users!). I hope this message was useful and prevents computers from kicking the bucket(or the sidewalk, for who ever through it out the window:)).
-NOTICE-
(I, Me, fileserverdirect) (is\are) not responable for (you, your, yours) (computer, laptop, etc.) for any damage that happens to your (self, computer, laptop, etc.)

boogyman
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
otherwise known as dont open mail with attachments unless you are EXPECTING such mail to be delivered.

I suspect that this also searches through the email address book and re-sends to everyone on your list, which would make it more malicious and effective.

Even if the email is from someone you know, it doesnt mean that its not malicious, so just follow my strategy and dont open something that you are not waiting to be sent, and if you do find something from a "friend" contact said person before you open the email message / attachment.

djr33
12-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Also, expect something better as attachment names. I hate it when actual contacts send stuff like "open" or "invitation" (And it does happen, from some contacts) because of exactly this.

A way to test this is to run another OS, like OSX, in most cases. Or a virtual OS, ready to kill it if trouble occurs.

Twey
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a hoax to me.

fileserverdirect
12-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Sounds like a hoax to me.
Do you mean I made it up? Or the email was just to scare us?
----

I suspect that this also searches through the email address book and re-sends to everyone on your list, which would make it more malicious and effective.

Forgot to say that part, but yes
----
Someone I know got a similar virus, It did not delete all the files, but it downloaded a key-logger, trojan, and stole ebay\paypal\bank information. Her computer became un-useable and crashed, the hard drive just would not work: "ERROR CANNOT FIND DRIVE C:\
A black screen with small white text nobody wants to see in their entire lives, ever. Ever.

jscheuer1
12-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Generally, when you get an email telling you to tell everyone anything, it is at best just a way to try and get people to clog up the internet, it might even be a virus, or a remnant of a message that originally carried one.

It is also true that there are many viruses and trojans out there and that the precautions discussed in this thread, as well as many other precautions should always be taken.

No particular virus is so vicious that it requires folks to send emails all over the place warning people about it. Viruses are all bad, and precautions should always be taken.

Twey
12-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Do you mean I made it up? Or the email was just to scare us?As John said. If it's a real virus your anti-virus software will likely have definitions for it long before you get an email from some anonymous person telling you about it. The big AV systems have people working on this sort of thing around the clock with honeypots everywhere.