PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Getting RSSDisplayBox to work on multiple pages

FireWolf
12-02-2007, 09:34 PM
1) Script Title: Rssdisplaybox

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/rssdisplaybox/

3) Describe problem:
Hi everyone,
I sucessfully got 2 instances of Rssdisplaybox working on an index.php page. I'm trying to get other pages to use the script but without sucess. The non working pages display nothing at all as if the divs were empty and not containing any code inside. Every parameter is similar as in index.php and the pages are in the same directory, so path issues are irrelevant.
The only difference between the demo files and my case, is that instead of inserting the code directly to the pages, I have created 2 php include files (rss1.php and rss2.php) each one going to its own div in every page. Since the same method is used for index.php, I don't see what the problem might be, if I follow the same path for page2.php page3.php and so on.
I could ditch rssdisplaybox for another rss parsing script, but I've spent already a considerable amount of time to display the feeds exactly the way I wanted, so switching to something else ain't time productive.
Any hints on how to solve this will be really appreciated.

Regards
FireWolf

EDIT:
1. sorry for not providing a link to the example. I'm working this on a local environment.
2. I just did a dumb-proof recheck my pages and all js and include php files are called the same way in all pages.

FireWolf
12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
More developpment:
I installed the firebug extension for firefox and the tool is reporting me 2 errors in the non-working pages:

1st error

rssdisplaybox is not defined
var showanalyse=new rssdisplaybox("news", "newsid", "rss_style")

2nd error

var showanalyse=new rssdisplaybox("announcements", "announcementsid", "rss_style")

same error that points to this line in the code of the page (same thing for error 2 except the IDs that change respectively):

var showanalyse=new rssdisplaybox("news", "newsid", "rss_style")

hope this helps

FireWolf
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I think I found the SOURCE of the problem but not the SOLUTION to it.

Looks like the script doesn't like at all filenames with - in it. Example: nicename.php will parse just fine but nice-name.php will be thrown away. That's why index.php is being treated nicely but the rest of the pages is not.
I can't rename the pages at this stage as there's a whole lot of reediting to do and for SEO purposes.
Still a solution to find :s

FireWolf
12-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Solution found:

The culprit is either my ftp client or server. When uploading files I had the impression everything was ok but apparently not. Although confirmed to overwritte the old files, the action apprently didn't take place and old files with missing js includes were the ones in action.

Sorry for spending your time reading this. As always a thorough check always helps. In my case looking at the last modified date did the trick :)

A happy rssdisplaybox user :D

luxifurr
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I have RSSDisplaybox working on my dev server however, when I upload the files to my live server the RSSDisplaybox doesn't show up. I get the same error as mentioned in previous posts:

[Break on this error] var showblog=new rssdisplaybox("blog", "blogid", "someclass")
rss_news.html (line 20)

Both the live site and the dev site have exactly the same file structure. The only difference i can think of would possibly be a difference in server configuration.

I can't track down what exactly the issue is... any help would be appreciated.

url of the page in question:
http://www.elumenati.com/new_site/index_new.html

ddadmin
01-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Hi Luxifurr:
In the future please start your own thread when asking a question. I don't see the RSS Display box script inside the link (http://www.elumenati.com/new_site/index_new.html) you provided actually...

luxifurr
01-19-2008, 03:32 AM
sorry about that. i've created a new thread for my issue.