PDA

View Full Version : [DHTML] Challenge to Coders! Can't be done without framesets.

molendijk
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
1) CODE TITLE: Challenge to Coders. Cannot be done without framesets.

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES: Arie Molendijk

3) DESCRIPTION: The technique explained here (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25009) for having layers on top of a frameset has applications that are hard (impossible?) to accomplish without frames.

4) URL TO CODE:
http://molendijk.110mb.com/challenge/

or, ATTACHED BELOW (see #3 in guidelines below):

molendijk
11-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Or is it possible?

Arie M.

boogyman
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
if it wasnt possible how do you think the lightbox is achieved?

its a combination of adding another layer and/or z-index

molendijk
11-28-2007, 02:57 PM

In the case of the lightbox, clicking on a thumbnail or going from one image to another does NOT bring the visitor to ANOTHER PAGE!
The whole point is that, on my site, I can go to another page (even a foreign one) without 'loosing' a layer.

Arie M.

molendijk
11-29-2007, 03:28 PM

There may have been a misunderstanding of what I really wanted to show, so I updated the URL TO CODE.
Just to be sure things will be interpreted correctly: the script handling the bird-float continues 'working' unless you explicitly stop it; it even goes on working if you go to a foreign page. Now, how can a script do it's job on a foreign page if no frames are used? That's the challenge I was talking about.

Arie Molendijk

jscheuer1
11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
On the same domain, with Ajax. On mixed domains, some server side code(s) can do it.

molendijk
11-29-2007, 05:11 PM
On the same domain, with Ajax. On mixed domains, some server side code(s) can do it.
Ajax only refreshes part(s) of the page, so using Ajax is equivalent to remaining on the same page (in this case). But my whole point is that going to ANOTHER page does not stop my bird script (and other scripts) to work (unless you have 'target=_top').
You could argue that there aren't real page transitions in my case either, since I have 'target="main"'. But I do at least have main frame's page transition, which allows me to keep using the history's back button (Ajax destroys it or, rather, doesn't have it).
As for mixed domains with server side coding, I tried PHP to obtain the desired results, but that didn't work out. (I don't suppose you could make something quick, similar to my site, as a demonstration of your point). Anyway, not everybody has access to SSI.

Arie Molendijk.

boogyman
11-29-2007, 05:21 PM
SSI = Micro$haft

but what AJAX is doing the same thing that you are doing with frames, the part that you are re-loading is the "target", and it would not stop the "bird" or any other script unless there were conflicts, which is the same as if you were using frames... the problem with both of these is that in either case you cannot "Add to Favorites" the "reloaded domain", because it sees the initial domain in the address bar.

jscheuer1
11-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Hmm, you just asked if it could be done, I answered. The server side would be the way to go for the most bullet proof implementation. But yes, it would require some supporting server side language (not necessarily a Microsoft one) enabled to import the content, and it would be (at least in the case of content from another domain) a bit tricky.

If the import of content was activated by a unique query string in the URI, bookmarking, etc. would be possible.

molendijk
11-29-2007, 05:31 PM
... the problem with both of these is that in either case you cannot "Add to Favorites" the "reloaded domain", because it sees the initial domain in the address bar.

I came up with something to circumvent that problem. Go to my 'bird site', then go to page 2 via the menu to the left, then click on the bookmark button (top right).

See also this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26304) for a discussion.

Arie M.