PDA

View Full Version : linked slideshow banner

codejunkie
11-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Alright, so I'm trying to make a noobish banner for my friend's up-and-coming band website, and I've got 5 images I want to use. As the title tells, I'm looking to make it like a slide show that's linked to his profile, but the problem is, I tried using a JS slide show and it didn't work, and I'm assuming it's because I'm using it on Myspace. I know the code was right because I checked it in a .htm on my desktop, but for some reason or another Myspace didn't initiate the code. I've had problems with other scripts as well, so I'm stuck.

I've been searching for programs and codes that'll do what I'm looking for but have come up with nothing but a flash program that doesn't give me enough control. Any recommendations on what I can do that'll be Myspace friendly? Much obliged.

Rob

djr33
11-28-2007, 02:19 AM
No idea about myspace allowing specific Javascript. Best recommendation is just to try a number of scripts that use different approaches. Also, be aware that the more complex a desired effect, the more likely some part of the code will result in myspace not allowing it, even if it isn't to block what you are doing specifically.

The only options for such a gallery are flash and Javascript (or maybe Java applets, but I wouldn't recommend that, and it's much more complex anyway, plus probably not allowed on myspace). If you can't do flash (does myspace allow it?), then you will just need to keep looking for a script that will work.

A word of advice-- I have yet to see a myspace page that isn't over the top annoying (including, admittedly, my own). Not having some of the flashy graphics might not hurt it that much, though I don't know about your particular case.

codejunkie
11-28-2007, 04:53 AM
To my knowledge JS doesn't work at all on Myspace; I've yet to see it used on a profile and every code that I've tried failed to initiate and just showed the code.

I'm sure flash would work though, if you can embed YouTube videos then I'm sure you can embed .swf's. This isn't going to be the only banner for his page, but I wanted something flashier than the typical banner. The pictures are atypical dimensions for a banner anyways, so I'd like to make it an obvious link as well as as funny as I can get it by incorporating multiple pictures.

Any recommendations for a flash maker?

djr33
11-28-2007, 05:14 AM
I believe a few things work. But certainly not much.

Well, you can google for some free trials. I'd start at www.download.com personally.

Flash itself is the best, but expensive. There's also a bit of a learning curve.

Googling a flash gallery generator may be easier for you, and you might be able to purchase one for less than a desirable design program.