PDA

View Full Version : Combining Old with New

BLiZZaRD
11-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Okay, so here is something I haven't thought about for a while.. getting a new computer.

I have ordered and purchased more than 15 computers for work in the last 7 months. I have installed them all, done initial set up, dual booted one, cleaned Vista off and installed Fedora on another, all have XP Pros and I even re did one of the MoBos on the last one (an experiment).

At home I have a computer that is 3 years old. Granted I have done a lot of upgrades, but it is about time the MoBo and fans and power supply are all starting to complain about being in use still.

So I did some math and I can get a brand new 64 bit, "super machine" as compared to my current one... for about 150 bucks LESS than I can update and upgrade my current one.

SO my question is this: I know the new computer will come with SATA insides, as opposed to IDE/Legacy items. But I have 300 GIG worth of files, programs, blah blah blah... Since I don't have fire wire, what is the best way to get my new computer, put Win XP back on, fresh install (cause that is nice) and get what ever I need off of the old IDE drive that I may need or want?

Is there an easy way? I thought about a legacy port in the new computer but I can't guarantee that the new one will come with that. So what are my other options?

Twey
11-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Most motherboards I know of have both IDE and SATA ports. You only need one IDE port to transfer your stuff.

tech_support
11-18-2007, 04:38 AM
I personally like transferring it through a gigabit network connection. Most modern motherboards do come with gigabit ports.

BLiZZaRD
11-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, then I will hope the new MoBo comes with both ports.

Thanks guys!